Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

what to do next with these plants?

sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i have quite a few of the following that i planted from seed this year, my question is what to do with them now?

1) if i plant them now will they flower this year ?

2) will they produce folage and die down and come back next year?

i'm in the south east so it's very hot atm

i have brampton stocks

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eeZmNUTV3EMIyz5EM6i8Vot4SlwPZ5m6nor-XsGv2mk=w382-h509-no

delphiniams 

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OB7otDR81UlNYQy3WCARjjIN9YGwjDFg4ltcguZJ-po=w382-h509-no

wedgewood salvias

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mwv2UuZQkhkgnRNgH7p_44lVtQxi8-yMDwnvlCOqHP8=w382-h509-no

cornflowers

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/odFZmlSUKbygyUbA2G-_Xj4dviRzg3Gmm3NxyStxY4E=w382-h509-no

• I also have some delphiniums and other perennials in little pots like yours. Soil is so dry and i don't think they'd be big enough to compete in the garden anyway. I'm planning to pot them on and keep them out of direct sunlight, ready to plant in the autumn. 

annuals will be dead by the end of the season so can probably go in. Quick google: Brompton stock can be grown as a biennial for loads of flowers in spring (instead of a few at the end of the summer).

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I agree with Julieimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

thank you, which ones are the annuals? the stocks & others are out in the plastic greenhouse (door open,afternoon sun) should i keep all of them in there till autumn? and how do i stop the stocks flowering this year to get a good show in spring as they are growing fast.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

Hello sanjy67, The plants look really good and healthy, I grew a huge amount of flowers from seed this year (normally its just veg) Including Brompton stocks, in shallow trays J.I. no;2, found that they had run out of steam in the trays, as soon as I transplanted them,, they romped away.  Showing 24.7 outside, 27 in my conservatory. At work last night at the Hospital it was SOOOOOOO hot, one Bay even had a radiator on, (we cannot control the temp, there is a central control).Why not plant some, and re-plant some for next year.  I might be wrong, but I thought Delphiniums were grown for flowering the following year.

verdun thanks, yes they are tiny atm but what about the stocks and wedgewood salvias, i'm confuddled image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I wouldnt be planting those delphiniums out until next Spring, if they are small they will be gone by the morning, slugs will have them off to the ground.

The stocks need chopping down by a few inches, they are becoming leggy

I would have put the cornflowers out before, chop the back and plant out. They will die at the end of summer.

I thought the wedgewood salvia was an annual? There again, pick the middles out and plant out.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

i think the salvias are annuals but they seem too small to plant out yet, don't they?

so once i have chopped stocks down do i plant them out now or autumn?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I think you will need to take the plunge Sanjy, Its July, you will lose the season soon. May as well take the chance. I have put almost everything out now, regardless of size and they have grown almost overnight. they will soon be starved in the little modules.

The cornflower are annuals as well, but they will self seed for next year or you can collect them and sow in March. 

I would put the stocks out as well. mine have almost finished flowering now but yours may overwinter and flower next spring.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

thank so much you lyn for clarifying, i will try and find space in the ground for them somewhere, i must learn not to sow so many seeds when i have no room for any more plants image