London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
5 messages
07/05/2013 at 10:18

I have three lemon plants I grew from pips. When it gets warmer I'm going to put them outside as they did well outside last year.

I know growing from pips isn't likely to get me plants that fruit, but I'm strangely attached to them. At the end of the summer though I'm going to have plants that are a bit too big to come back inside. I don't have any kind of greenhouse but am contemplating constructing something specially for for my lemon trees (I'm optimistic). What do lemons like in the winter (apart from a sunny spot in my house). I'm in Somerset.

Does anyone else have a strange obsession with one type of plant? Oranges and tangerines don't do it - it has to be lemons. I can't cut open a lemon without wanting to save all the pips and plant them.

07/05/2013 at 11:36

Lemons need to be kept frost-free in winter.

Considering where you are, if you built them a shelter and wrapped them well with fleece, including the pots, then I think there is a reasonable chance that they will survive.

The other thing that you may not know is that you can prune lemons to make them small enough to bring indoors if you want to - I wouldn't do it too hard, but they do re-grow well.

Good luck!

08/05/2013 at 15:34

Thanks Alina. Do you mean a shelter, like something to keep the wind off, or something with a roof on? if I bought a greenhouse would that do if left unheated, but with the fleece round plants and pots pots as you suggest?

I didn't know lemons could be pruned like that. I might do that, but I really want to see how big and gorgeous I can get them I also want lemons, although I know there isn't much chance. I could get lemons if I bought plants from the garden centre, but that's cheating.

08/05/2013 at 15:45

I think some kind of closed shelter would be needed - providing that we didn't have a very cold winter and they were well-wrapped, they may be OK in an unheated greenhouse, yes.

09/05/2013 at 14:45

I do have a workbench with a north facing window in the back of the unheated garage. If I can clear it off that might do the trick. Otherwise I'll have a look at constructing a shelter.

email image
5 messages