Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What to plant in VERY tall, narrow planter

pariatepariate Posts: 77

Hi

I have a beautiful glazed blue pot.  It's 22" high, with an opening at the top of 5", but the pot itself is about 9" in diameter.  It's urn shaped, tapering ever so slightly towards the base.  It's been sitting indoors for years, used as an umbrella stand, but I really want to find a use for it in the garden and thought it would be a good idea to find a plant that really needs that sort of depth for its roots.  I know I could just stick a geranium in there (just an example!) but shallow pots are so easy to find, I want to make the most of this beauty.

We have a sheltered garden and because the pot is tall no matter where I place it it's likely to have sun for at least a few hours a day.  It could also be placed full sun. 

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Clematis benefit from being potted in a deep root pot. Could you stand it against a wall so the clematis could grow with some support?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Is your garden quite modern? You could put a half standard rose or a small standard conifer clipped into a ball? Either way, because the opening is small it won't catch much rain and will need a lot of watering.image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have a similar pot. I don't put a plant in it because if the roots grow it would be impossible to get the plant out to repot. Also it has no holes in the bottom. You could part fill it with stones and then stand a plastic plant pot inside the lip of it. That way you can change the plant with the seasons.

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Thank you for the feedback. 

Fidgetbones, I see your point about repotting.  If I plant in the pot directly (rather than using a plastic pot) I will prepare myself to compost the plant when it would otherwise need repotting! 

Verdun, I like the idea of a grass, and the colour is glorious. 

Tootles, would the clematis have enough width in that planter?  I like the idea of a climber. 

Artjak, I don't know if you'd describe our garden as modern or not. image  I think the planting is quite romantic and traditional in lots of ways.  I say this because we tried to cater for pollinators and birds as much as possible, so there are lots of flowering plants, plants that I suppose look quite classic.  The styles of the landscaping is also quite soft.  We tried to avoid angular lines and shapes.  We have a climbing rose (Madame Grégoire Staechelin) against one fence.  Thanks for your ideas!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd agree with fidget. I often do the insert pot idea. Part filling  with gravel will also give stability to your pot as it's tall and narrow. Since it's that shape, a tall plant could look unbalanced so I'd suggest something round like a box ball, a small Hebe or a grass so that the planting doesn't fight with it and the pot is the focal point.  You could have spring bulbs for the early part of the year and something simple that will trail over the edges for the summer. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

You will have to drill holes in the bottom if you want to plant direct into it. Clematis are hungry plants, at 22 inches high and quite narrow, i wouldnt do it.

You could find a nice plant in a 5inch pot for it which you could keep well fed.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Okay, I think I'll stick to the inserted pot.  Thank you all very much for your help.  Hope you have a lovely day.  Don't eat your chocolate too quickly... image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Just a thought before you pot up, maybe sweet peas over summer?