Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

what type of bush is this?

LucyLLucyL Posts: 163

Doesn't/ Hasn't flowered, leaves on it all year.

Thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

photinia fraserii red robin

Devon.

it does have clusters of creamy white flowers but is really grown for the foliage

Devon.
  • LucyLLucyL Posts: 163

wuw thanks! did expect to get an answer so quickly, do you know when it would flower? When i moved in about 4 years ago it was a dead stump, so i watered and fed it when did other "Dead" plants and it came to life, but has never had any flowers on it, so surprised to hear that it can flower

late spring, early summer. Any time from April - June depending where you are 

Devon.

Thank you Hostafan1, I wonder why it hasn't flowered before?

Also could someone identify this tree thats growing in my garden? It seems to be dying, as one side is turning brown and bits are falling off, what do i do to make it greener and healthier looking? If i cut sime of the dead or dying branches will they grow back?

This photo is a few years old but shows its full height and shape

This is what a bit of what the other side looks like

the other side behind this is worse (can't find a photo) I don't know what to do with it as it is looking more and more dead as the years go by. any help much appreciated!

could be any number of conifers, so I'm not going to try to name it.

Is the damaged side exposed to sea breezes? as it looks like many trees around this part of N Devon / Cornwall.

Devon.

Hi Hostafan1 - there is no sea near enough to us, nearest bit of sea is about 2 miles as the crow flys, between it and i is the city centre, the one up the road from us is completely healthy looking.

Thanks 1Runnybeak1 i guess mine too will just be pretty leaves image

• My photinia has flower buds on now and some look white and fat enough to open soon. Much earlier than last year.

• LucyL wrote (see)

... it is looking more and more dead as the years go by....

Could just be old age - happens to us all image  I'd be having a good think about what to replace it with when the time comes.

Some of that pony poo will help to make good compost to replenish the soil before replanting - conifers are greedy plants.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I don't think i'll have a say in the matter Davefromabove, as the property is rented, So the tree will probs remain until it is dead. then probs just chopped, doubt they would spend money or time digging it up either...but if not i'm thinking that if it was chopped fairly high-ish i could dig out the centre of it and it would then be made into a tree pot/planter.... but i think that willl be a fair time away yet image

Yes I have been using some of my pony poo and mixing it into and around my plants, So hoping this year everything will benefit from it (tho i dont think some of my neighbours were to pleased to have 2 days of a planter with only pony poo in it...i can't smell it but everyone tended to cross the street! haha!)

Diggingdoris i would love it if mine decided to flower as i have had a look at them and they look very pretty with flowers, you are very lucky image