London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
5 messages
12/05/2012 at 13:19

I have had lovely displays of these little daffs (some with anemone blanda) in three teracotta pots - and now I need the pots!! (I know I should have put them in plastic ones first....). Should I tip them out and allow them to dry and replant in the Autumn? Dig them up and replant them somewhere where they can die down until the Autumn? Discard them and treat myself to some new ones?

12/05/2012 at 13:35

Both types of bulbs need to have the leaves die back naturally, so you need to plant them somewhere where they can do this; they will also benefit from feeding whilst they are dying back.

Drying them out isn't the best approach for either, and if you do it before the leaves have died back, you will get nothing from them next year.

12/05/2012 at 13:51

Thank you Alina. I think I'll replant them in soil in old potato sacks. Do I then leave them there until September?

12/05/2012 at 14:05

Try to tip the whole of the contents of the pot into another container- even an old compost bag would do- disturbing the plant roots as little a possible.Then feed them until the leaves die back. You can then let the containers dry out and harvest the bulbs for replanting in the autumn.

12/05/2012 at 14:15
Berkley wrote (see)

Thank you Alina. I think I'll replant them in soil in old potato sacks. Do I then leave them there until September?

To be honest, I think that's as convenient a place to leave them as anywhere. Bulbs can dry out too much, particularly anemone corms, and keeping them in compost keeps them moist and plump.

email image
5 messages