London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
06/11/2013 at 22:21

What would you buy yourself if you were given £30 to spend by someone very special and you wanted a plant to treasure - perhaps that you could take with you should you move house.

06/11/2013 at 22:24

I had a ginger kitten who I was really close to, but a couple of months after his first birthday, he got run over and killed the our road, opposite our house. Because he was ginger, I bought a Buddleja Globosa and planted that as a memorial, that will come with me wherever I go, and so will it's offspring

06/11/2013 at 22:32

Ryan that is so sad - but what a lovely way to remember him.  I have just googled the Globosa as I hadn't heard of it before - it is very unusual and interesting, not at all like I imagined.  A lovely colour too.

06/11/2013 at 22:38

Yeah he was a very similar colouring, but also as you say its an unusual plant and therefore is quite special anyway. What sized plant were you looking for?

07/11/2013 at 07:43

I like to get an acer or a small garden statue I lost an unborn child some years ago and planted a rhodie with a pale pink flower. But if we move its got so big I can't take it with me. So next year I might get something new.

07/11/2013 at 08:11

Oh Star gaze I am sorry - yes rhodies are lovely and I can imagine the size it would reach. I don't know how easy it is to take a cutting from rhodedendrons - I don't think it is easy actually.  Acers are also beautiful and I think you could keep one in a pot should you move.  I suppose that goes towards my answer to your question Ryan - something that can be either easily lifted or propagated.  I rarely come across a plant I don't like in fact my garden is full of cuttings and swaps from others and I like the link each one gives me.  This plant will accompany many others when I do get round to moving and I want it to be a lovely reminder of a lovely family.

07/11/2013 at 08:13

How about a Dahlia? There are so many cultivars, youre bound to thing one that's name relates to you somehow or means something, and obviously they need to be lifted :most of the anyway) and you can then sow it's seed or take cuttings

07/11/2013 at 08:22

a patio rose is perhaps an obvious choice but if you get the right variety you should be able to keep it in a pot and therefore portable. Or how about lilies? £30 would cover the plants and a nice big pot.

07/11/2013 at 08:31

I'm in exactly the same situation as you Lavande - I've been given £30 in gardening vouchers by my work colleagues as a retirement present - I will be digging a new border in the front garden over the winter and shall buy something to remember my time with them.  I'm thinking it may be a rose, possibly rosa glauca, or  rosa sericea pteracantha Red Wings (those colleagues are a lovely bunch, but fierce  when roused!!!) ;-/

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33761.jpg?width=194&height=259&mode=max

KEF
07/11/2013 at 08:32

Exochorda macrantha 'the Bride'. Beautiful white flowers in early spring, makes the garden come alive.  Mine has been successfully transplanted in the garden. I think it would do okay in a pot. Not an expensive plant but my favorite.

07/11/2013 at 08:42

I'm going to  have a lovely morning, I am being truly spoiled for choice.  I shall make myself a cup of tea and ask Google to help me look at all your lovely suggestions.  Thank you everyone and Congratulations on your retirement Dovefromabove

07/11/2013 at 08:57

Thank you Lavande   Do let us know what you choose -  if you're interested in roses this website makes it very easy to find the right size/colour/scent etc http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/ 

07/11/2013 at 09:17

The David Austin Roses site is good too, allowing you to search on colour and form - http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Search.asp?Theme=

I think I might go for a rose such as Summer Song for my new hot border and there'd be some left over for another clematis.

07/11/2013 at 15:00

I would get a weeping cherry tree or an abstract sculpture for the garden.

10/11/2013 at 17:43

Well that has been a most enjoyable journey.

I haven't yet made a choice but I have had great fun and learned a lot at the same time. I could go for a dahlia because I thought they were much more difficult to look after than they appear to be and I had always avoided them – while googling I saw the most exquisite etheral pink and white one ….and have just tried to find it again and can't. Drat, it was on a blog and I just fell in love with it. So I'll keep looking for that specific one. If the name comes back to me I'll post it.

The Exochorda , pearl bush is admittedly lovely but set me off on a mission to see how many white flowering shrubs I already have and ….I have choisya, deutzia, hydrangea, lilac, buddleja, osmanthus, spirea, philladelphus, peiris, prunus, cornus, vibirnum, nandina and photina. I didn't even know I had that many shrubs never mind just white flowering ones. It is lovely though and I obviously have a soft spot for white – I just seem to have collected them over the years without being actively conscious of it.

Roses yes, I could never have enough – there are plenty of lovely patio ones to choose from. Of course during the search I saw a lovely deep red climber – typical. I couldn't keep it in a pot though and don't think it would transplant well. I did read that the rosa sericia is easy to propagate and it has such lovely vivid rose hips. The rosa glauca is very pretty and delicate and I could be easily tempted but would probably have to leave it behind.

I love lilies and have the glorious tall white scented ones (sorry I don't know the name) and I will certainly take some when leaving. However, I also have a plethora of lily beetle and none of my potted lilies survive more than a season in the garden.

I love the Weeping Cherry – I agree it is a must and have had one in two previous gardens but again I would have to leave it behind.

A piece of abstract sculpture would be lovely but I don't think I'd get much for my money and I find the Henry Moore ones quite difficult to shift when I want to mow the grass Although on a similar vein, I can never have enough bird baths or little animal ornaments. OH said yes I do actually have more than enough and he will happily take the money to save me such a difficult choice.

I hope I haven't missed out any suggestions because I did appreciate them and have had a lovely weekend researching them.

So my search goes on but I would like to buy something this week so that I can show what I bought and that I really appreciated the gift.

To be continued ….

10/11/2013 at 22:53

Henry Moore liked to see his sculptures in landscapes grazed by sheep so you wouldn't neeed a lawnmower if you kept in the spirit.  

11/11/2013 at 09:34

Oh that's true - how much are sheep?

11/11/2013 at 09:36
11/11/2013 at 11:38

Ohh don't tempt me - I remember my son being quite horrified when I bought a book on how to identify garden birds.  He said I was going to turn into one of these old bird ladies whose children had left home (???)

I can just picture the scene when he or his sister visit me now  - three little lambs in the garden - yep she has definitely flipped this time. Actually my daughter would love them too...now there's an idea...

12/11/2013 at 07:08

I used to have a smallholding - a flock of Southdown sheep (amongst other stock), lambing on New Year's Eve -  apparently I was the only member of our social work team whose qualifications include a Certificate in Castration  

1 to 20 of 26 messages