Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What's the best thing to do with daffodils when the flower has died

Hi folks 

what's the best thing to do with daffodils after the flower has died??

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Cut the flower head off to stop it using energy to make seed.

Give the bulbs a feed of general fertiliser, and let the bulbs die down naturally. Do not cut green leaves off or tie them up in ponytails or they won't flower next year.

• Saved me asking was wanting to know this to is it the same with other spring flowers like tulips and hyacinths ???

• I've always been told to take the dead heads off but not to cut them down straight away and leave for the goodness to go back into bulb.None of mine has gone over yet and i've still got some late flowering to come yet.I'll be getting my garden tidy about August at this rate.

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204

Making sure you don't touch the leaves, does it matter how far down the stem you cut?

Would it harm next year's crop if you cut the flowers close to the base before dying and put them in an indoor vase?

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I can't believe your daffs are dying down already. Mine only flowered today!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've never dead-headed a bulb yetimage, mine have to be a bit more self reliant than that

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd never get round to it Verdun

I've still got about a dozen hellebores to de-leafimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • HoonHoon Posts: 8

I always dead head as much as I can - I also dead head the ones that have been bitten into . I think this is caused by the lily beetle. ?