London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
11 messages
15/05/2013 at 11:22

I have some large pots of geraniums  - brought into the lobby to overwinter - all flowering.  When will it be safe to put them outside?  I would hate to lose them now after coping with them indoors for so long.

15/05/2013 at 12:31

They could go outside for a treat on warm days and come in at night! Planting outside is safe after all danger of frost has passed - usually about the end of May (probably later in Scotland, though!). They don't like temperatures below 4 or 5 deg C.

15/05/2013 at 12:54

Thanks, Crocus.

In/out is not an option as they are far too heavy too move.  They will be transported to garden positions by porters trolley (and hubby's help, I hope).  The lobby is unheated but gets really hot when the sun comes out, but is otherwise pretty chilly.

I'll just have to be patient for a little longer.

15/05/2013 at 12:56

They sound like very impressive plants!

15/05/2013 at 13:09

Mmm. I have had them a while.  When theyb get leggy I break bits off and pop them aas cuttings back in the pot - otherwise they seem to thrive on neglect, and a good watering from time to time in the summer.

15/05/2013 at 13:19

Gardeninggranny

Its going to be a big shock for them to go outside without some protection.  Can you put theM outside and cover with fleece for couple of days and then only cover night time for few more times? They need to be hardened off a little

My pelargoniums are outside and some over the winter....mild here.  

The issue is not that it's actually too cold but the difference suddenly in temperature. Better outside now with protection.

15/05/2013 at 15:01

Two weeks ago I had 24 geranium plugs they have been outside for the last week in a  2in tray which is full of water which I mix with planet food,they are picking up nicely with at least a inch growth in the last five days,stood in the water plus food they seem to be thriving.

15/05/2013 at 15:11
Gary Travis2 wrote (see)

Two weeks ago I had 24 geranium plugs they have been outside for the last week in a  2in tray which is full of water which I mix with planet food,they are picking up nicely with at least a inch growth in the last five days,stood in the water plus food they seem to be thriving.

Might be thriving now-but they will die in those conditions-far too wet and too cold.

15/05/2013 at 17:35

Thanks Verdun - I trust your judgement.  I don't need to get them out ubntil the end of the month when I go away, and they will then be in quite a sheltered position.  I'm just getting impatient with them filling the lobby.  Each year by this time I just want them out so that I can clean up a bit!  I think they're pretty tough =- they didn't come in until November!

15/05/2013 at 18:52
Gary Travis2 wrote (see)

Yup, agree with LG - the prolonged wet conditions won't do them any good at all.

04/10/2013 at 10:36

I have taken cuttings from my geraniums for the first time. What temperature do I need to keep them at over the winter?

email image
11 messages