Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

when do i take root cuttings of Japanese anemones?

cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

I have a few you young plants in 2 litre pots. When should I take cuttings? Autumn,whilst it is warm or when it's dormant(if we have a winter this year!)?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Try this link cotty to the rhs, my anemone's are already up so autumn is best really.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=407

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've always done root cuttings as plants go dormant for winter. 

My success rate isn't that great thoughimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Verdun wrote (

Do it now.  

Would you pot it up or put it straight into the garden, mine is about a foot tall now?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Traditionally root cuttings are done in late autumn.

• if they are young plants, I would wait till Autumn to give them a chance to beef up a bit. I planted some years ago and found they sulked for a good year, then settled in rather too well in places! I have just pulled some up to stop them taking over a border and stuck them in pots for a friend who wants some, but am not expecting a massive success rate.

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Gosh Cotty, I've been so unnerved by posters sightings of Japanese K that I was aghast to read that you actually want to take cuttings.....I had to re-read your title imageand still find myself doing a double take when I come across it.

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

Don't worry lavande(r) it isn't knotweed I am interested in.

I think I will take your advice gingly,let them get bigger with more established roots and whilst it's warm take some cuttings.

I have done this in winter with sea holly and acanthus with limited success. The warmth might help?

I will try that link later Dave when the kids are in bed. Got to plant some asters that I pinched from the in-laws before they dry out image