Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

When is the best time to plant out the varying bulbs?

CaralCaral Posts: 301

I've never liked bulbs hanging around, so I would normally plant them as I get them.
But what about Allium and Dwarf Irises?
Also with a possible Indian Summer on its way would it be wise to delay putting all bulbs out for a little while? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd plant them except for tulips if you've got any.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • CaralCaral Posts: 301

That's great news, thanks Nutcutlet. How long should I hold off for the tulips? 

November I think but someone will know for sureimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Small bulbs need to be planted straight away to avoid them dehydrating and then failing to grow.  It's often a good idea to soak them in cold water for at least an hour before planting, especially snowdrops and snake's head fritillaries.   

Daffodils start putting out new roots as early as August so need to be planted as soon as you but them to get the best results.    I would also get alliums in as soon as possible as they will produce more and better roots in warmer soil.

The advice is always to plant tulips in November in order to avoid fire blight but a lot depends on what kind of tulip you've bought and when the first heavy frosts start to come in your garden.  I reckon it's OK to start in mid October but have also planted in December.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Colder weather for tulips to avoid blight as obelixx says, but the little species ones that flower early (February/March are different and can be planted earlier. 

I always try to plant my bulbs as soon as possible after I get them.... apart from the anemones I accidentally mislaid last autumn....image

I found them in a pot in spring - still in their little net bag imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Thanks for the advice, Nut, Obelixx and Fairy.  I've now planted all my bulbs and did notice the roots on a couple of bulbs that I accidentally dug up in the process. image  I kept back all the tulips, but half of them are dwarf so probably best to plant them sooner rather than later. 

I didn't soak any of them but the soil was quite damp, so hopefully they will be alright.  Might give them a water just in case. 

Shame about your anemones Fairy, don't worry you're not alone - I've just found a couple of bags of hyacinths on top of the tumble dryer. image  

I left some carrier bags full of Iris Pseudocorus and  matteuccia lying about all winter in frost and snow.image

They're fine. They didn't dehydrateimage

LoLoL. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hyacinths like it warm though don't they? image

I managed to get them all out the bag Caral - took a while though! I planted them all in little pots and I'll put them in the ground soon. The only reason I found them was I noticed all this growth in the pot and couldn't think what it could be.

When a flower appeared it dawned on me...image

I'd been a bit busy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

"When a flower appeared it dawned on me...image " 

LoLoL... Fairy, absolutely crying with laughter.  

Well done you for untangling and getting them into pots.
    If it was me, I think I might try to blag it, something about.. experiment... seasonal change... blah...micro climates.. blah de blah, blah. image  
    After a few minutes of listening to my old pants I'm sure their eyes would glaze over.image  image