London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
08/11/2013 at 09:09

This is all useful information from everybody, I have been asked to tidy up a Buddleia which is pretty old and has a very thick trunk, I'm wondering if I do cut it back to knee high in Feb whether it will shoot again. Also, is there anything you can feed it that will make the plant put more effort into creating flowers and not into massive growth, as this thing grows over a window.

08/11/2013 at 09:18

Gill21

No need to feed your buddleia usually but if you cut it severely .......which won't hurt it; I have done plenty of them......I would give it a feed, maybe fish blood n bone, in spring.  Just make sure cuts are as clean and neat as possible

You can't really stop it growing over your window by feeding but just prune any wayward branches as they appear.  Your new growth, and subsequent growth, will not be as thick as wood you are cutting now. 

13/11/2013 at 13:26

Many thanks Verdun for the info.

25/11/2013 at 15:03

I tend to prune about a third back in Autumn, once they have stopped flowering, then fully back in Spring when you will see new shoots growing on them - you can cut back to a pair of healthy new shoots at that point.

These plants, even the dwarf varieties, are wonderful late food for the Red Admiral butterflies that tend to appear late in Summer where we live (these late arrivals are the new year's generation apparently).

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages