Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

hollie hock

Hi everyone, bought a few of these a while ago. Had flowers last Spring and it has survived the winter but has gone rather empty in the middle. It's flowering well now and has grown a lot. There some growth in the middle but not much. I really like this plant, evergreen over the winter and a quick grower.

I saw on GW a few weeks ago, one solution is to dig up and split. In my eyes it  doesn't look like a plant that lends itself to that type of treatment. 

I'm just wondering if this plant needs some pruning after it flowers, a bit like Aubriettas.

Thanks for any information.

Fairygirl

HH -I have a white variety which has flowered constantly since it was bought last year for filling holes in a sandstone wall in last house. I had 1 left over so it's come with me to new house and has flowered all winter in its container. They're really like aubretias - mine were in a very exposed spot but had good drainage as they were in the wall, and I just trim old flowers off. Has it maybe got a bit waterlogged in the middle? Some might be more fragile than others but if it's growing now it's probably fine.  

Busy-Lizzie

I have hard pruned them before with good results. I have a pink one hanging over the edge of a planter which looked so pretty last year that I couldn't bring myself to prune it and now it's flowering near the compost and at the end but there is a big brown patch in the middle. When it's finished flowering I shall cut off all the overhanging bit.

I prune all Arabs hard after flowering. It makes them compact and improves flwering. Yes same with aubretia and many similar plants.
Don't be afraid to be it brutal
Oops! Not racist. I mean Arabis not Arabs. Sorry

Advertisement

hollie hock

Thanks for your replies. Learnt last year the the aubriettas do respond to a hard prune after flowering so will give this the same treatment

Morning Hollie hock, good luck with Arabis.