London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
7 messages
01/04/2013 at 19:11

Hi everyone, bought a few of these a while ago. Had flowers last Spring and it has survived the winter but has gone rather empty in the middle. It's flowering well now and has grown a lot. There some growth in the middle but not much. I really like this plant, evergreen over the winter and a quick grower.

I saw on GW a few weeks ago, one solution is to dig up and split. In my eyes it  doesn't look like a plant that lends itself to that type of treatment. 

I'm just wondering if this plant needs some pruning after it flowers, a bit like Aubriettas.

Thanks for any information.

01/04/2013 at 19:32

HH -I have a white variety which has flowered constantly since it was bought last year for filling holes in a sandstone wall in last house. I had 1 left over so it's come with me to new house and has flowered all winter in its container. They're really like aubretias - mine were in a very exposed spot but had good drainage as they were in the wall, and I just trim old flowers off. Has it maybe got a bit waterlogged in the middle? Some might be more fragile than others but if it's growing now it's probably fine.  

01/04/2013 at 22:28

I have hard pruned them before with good results. I have a pink one hanging over the edge of a planter which looked so pretty last year that I couldn't bring myself to prune it and now it's flowering near the compost and at the end but there is a big brown patch in the middle. When it's finished flowering I shall cut off all the overhanging bit.

01/04/2013 at 23:12
I prune all Arabs hard after flowering. It makes them compact and improves flwering. Yes same with aubretia and many similar plants.
Don't be afraid to be it brutal
01/04/2013 at 23:13
Oops! Not racist. I mean Arabis not Arabs. Sorry
02/04/2013 at 09:07

Thanks for your replies. Learnt last year the the aubriettas do respond to a hard prune after flowering so will give this the same treatment

02/04/2013 at 09:13
Morning Hollie hock, good luck with Arabis.
email image
7 messages