Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

when to take fuschia cuttings

Bear with me its the first time i,ve used this forum, anyone out there who can help me out, do i want to take softwood or semi-ripe fuschia cuttings and will they take long to establish themselves ?

• jeffdjeffd Posts: 61

Softwood cuttings can be taken any time throughout the summer, and semi-ripe fuchsia cuttings are taken in August And September. Within a year or two you should have flowering plants.

• thanks for that jeffd i,ll give it a go

• tattiannatattianna Posts: 182

I took some cuttings from my Fuschia last summer and left them to root in water before potting them. They are growing really well but I'm not sure they'll be in full bloom this year but I don't mind waiting!

• Paul NPaul N Posts: 303

When I pruned my fuchsias a few weeks ago, rather than throw all of the stems away I took about twenty cuttings, all about 4" long, above and below a node. All have taken and growing away nicely. I did place a poly bag over the tops for a couple of weeks but they have since been taken off.

• thanx for that and i,ll bear the comments in mind

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

I bought several fuchsias and the creeping lysimachia nummularia from my local garden centre four weeks ago - 75p each - and two weeks later took three cuttings from each. They have all rooted and the parent plants are now bigger than ever and ready for some more cuttings. 

You can do the same with petunias. I once got around 30 plants from one tiny one bought in February, producing 6 first generation cuttings, and the rest second generation. I then sold them at a plant sale in June at £1 each! 

• chris61chris61 Posts: 1

hiya Gold1locks, great post am in the process of doing cuttings now and there is a table sale in the local village hall soon, will get mrs Chris to attend as it is mostly her hard work bearing the fruit.....

• StarflowerStarflower Posts: 10

I took cuttings from two different plants last year and so far they seem to be doing really well. The one that is doing the best was just plonked into the ground! 

• @gold1locks.. that is great.. i tend to end up with loads.. so sell extra off. so far i have made enough to do my gardening for free..

thou at the moment i have a huge pile up of plants waiting to go inthe new borders we are laking next year..

• Last year I took 100 cuttings in mid February and 96 of them took in a cool greenhouse with a minimum temp of 5C.