London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
10 messages
29/05/2013 at 16:27

I have a oriental lilly in the garden and its not showing any signs of life. Is it too early or should i replace it.

29/05/2013 at 16:29

Should have pushed through by now-if it is in the ground have a little fiddle in the soil

29/05/2013 at 16:33

If it's still not showing any signs yet it's probably not going to now- even though everything's later this year.If there has been any life the slugs/snails may have got to them too. You could maybe give it another week or two but I'd have thought there really should be something out the ground by now cairnsie.

I've given up on my cannas. Need the pots anyway!

29/05/2013 at 16:38

I though so to be honest that side of the garden with all the rain does not drain as well as the rest so its probably rotted, ill buy a new one Thanks.

29/05/2013 at 16:43

They are lovely cairnsie but they need a bit of good drainage. You'll need to find a better spot for the new one! They're great in pots so you could always try that if you really want to put it  in that particular bit.

29/05/2013 at 16:46

I grow mine in pots and then move them where I want as they are ready to flower.

29/05/2013 at 18:33

Mine have been showing above ground and growing all month. No sign of any flowers yet, but definite green plants. The only ones that haven't shown up are the newest acquisitions, some two-tone red and white ones. The fancy blooms are always on the fragile plants, right? Plain white, yellow and orange ones have all come back in the lily patches and the OMG TALL varieties are over knee height, heading for kidney height. I think if you don't have green shoots now you're not getting them.

29/05/2013 at 18:34

I too, grow them in pots.

29/05/2013 at 20:12

Yep, mine are in pots too, with copper bands around them and planted in a 'pool' of sharp sand to deter slugs and help with drainage.  Mine are all up to about a foot and a half, they are the tall varieties, but I find they don't grow as big in the pots (or maybe that was just down to the c**p weather we had last year).  Think it will have to be a potted plant now, as the bulbs will have all sprouted, they had sprouted in their packs at the local dobbies, as it's always soooo hot in there, I think for the droves of elderly visitors, tutting at me when I dared to take my pushchair in there (now I just plonk the toddler in a trolley and shove that at them instead).

29/05/2013 at 22:57

I have tree lillies, but I have a really bad clay soil, and in particular where I wanted to plant was where all the water went! (The tree lillies were in pots for their first year) They are up against a retaining wall, like 6 ft high otherside is pavement, and at the bottom of my sloping garden. So what to do, bulbs rot in water, so here's what I did. I dug down maybe 2 to 3 foot. I then whacked in lots of manure, then a load of compost with soil on top, finally after I excavated the planting hole, I took an extra 3 inch off the bottom and filled with coarse gravel to the planting depth. I then popped the bulbs on top and covered as usual. This was last october, we have had plenty of rain and snow, yet all 12 of them are about a foot high so far. There is hope, you just need to be clever. They are actually roaring away this year, so I hope to get some great photos on here when they flower. Good luck, but remember, you can't control the weather, BUT you CAN control the soil!

email image
10 messages