Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where best to plant Fuchsia plugs

Some fuchsia plugs arrived. Is it better to plant in 3inch pots and put in basket later on or can I plant them straight in baskets now and keep these inside 'till later on in May?

• Plants about an inch tall- or should I say short

• I have easy - fill baskets (you can get them postage free until Monday from Ideal World - £12.99 for 4 14 inch ones), so I can use garden-ready plugs.

I had some plugs last year, planted them up in pots until they were a lot bigger, and then put them into my baskets.  If they are very tiny plugs, and are going into a big basket, I think I'd pot them on first, I don't think they'll be very happy, surrounded by a big sump of cold compost.  However, if you have a greenhouse, plant them up and hang them in there until risk of frost has gone.

• Thank you everyone.

MMP I use easyfill baskets- have tried some new ones this year.

Sam12 I always put gel and feed crystals in all my baskets thank you.

As I'm using easy fill I'll pop them in pots for a few weeks to get those roots developed.

• I brought some fuchsia plugs (10,2 of each )of which I have potted on ,and are on my livingroom window sill, some of them look a tad tall should I snip the top off theses? or let them or let them grow on ? 

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

It's a good idea to pinch out the tips of plug plants to encourage branching lower down giving you more flowers and bushier plants too. Long tips can be rooted and potted on as new plants too!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I would pinch the tops out John.  Doing that will encourage them to bush out and you'll get more blooms.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Also, dont let any buds grow until you get a big strong plant, pick them off or they will sap the strength out of your plants.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• For any one who doesn't know Lyn really is an expert when it comes to fuchsia.

I bought one for my granddaughter for Easter. Having seen the idea on here I'm going to decorate a pot up for her with it in.

• ronmronm Posts: 2

Ar all fuchsias suitable for growing as standards? I have some bought as a collection and don't know which variety they are.