London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
21/04/2013 at 21:00

I have a group of 3 Sum & Substance - they're all about 1" tall at the moment 

21/04/2013 at 21:40

Patriot and Blue Angel still sleeping, Wide Brim and Blue Cadet just starting to peek above ground. Frances Williams looks dead

21/04/2013 at 22:49
Talking of hostas, where's Brum?
22/04/2013 at 06:47

He's disappeared 

Right, I have a hosta question for you - if, and I mean if I wanted to add to my hosta collection, but grow them in pots rather than in the beds, are they happier in clay or plastic pots - I usually use clay pots for most plants but am wondering if hostas would prefer plastic because of better moisture retention.  But on the other hand, I'd then have to put them inside other more attractive pots, and that can provide lurking facilities for slugs and snails - so what do you think?

22/04/2013 at 06:53

Do you like metal pots Dove? It does seem to help deter them. We get alot of slugs because of the high rainfall but metal pots seem better. I found it helped with lilies too. I tried sandpaper as well round the base which seemed to work but it doesn't look great so you have to put  other pots in front to disguise it.

22/04/2013 at 06:57

We're lucky because we really don't get many slugs or snails here (fingers crossed) but I don't like to give them too many opportunities to lurk  

I'm wondering if metal pots might get a bit too warm for hostas - don't they prefer their roots to be cool?

22/04/2013 at 07:36

If they're in a shady spot they seem ok. I insulated mine a bit too and I used large pots and with other plants around them they should be fine. Worth a try perhaps?

22/04/2013 at 07:51
I grow hostas in terracotta and plastic pots. I don't really notice any difference.
I think metal in a hot summer would be inhospitable for hostas....would never do that. Appearance wise. Terracotta is better, more stable. I prefer hostas in terracotta
Dove, you are absolutely right about pots within pots creating havens for slugs n snails cos that's exactly,what happens. I use copper tape around the rims of pots too
22/04/2013 at 08:06

Verd...we don't get hot summers here...a light drizzle constitutes barbecue weather in Scotland..

22/04/2013 at 08:08
Told you....hot summer to come fairygirl
22/04/2013 at 08:12

yeah yeah yeah...heard it all before Verd. I'll look out me bikini...

It's the kind with a  full length skirt and sleeves-just to be on the safe side you understand!

22/04/2013 at 08:21

The Fens; Hostas are still asleep in fairly deep shade.

22/04/2013 at 16:56

Mine are all in glazed stoneware pots, with very sharp grit on the top. One of the show exhibitors was interviewed a couple of years ago.  A nice lady who had a hosta nursery - she swore by a boiled concotion of a couple of garlic bulbs, then diluted and sprayed on - she didn't have a slug problem.  But this does need to be reapplied after rain.

22/04/2013 at 17:06

hi all

Verdon, I don't have signs of my hostas yet but when they do i spray my garlic concoction and it seems to help but early in the season it may be worth slug pellets and then the spray to keep them off.  i have planted in terracotta and plastic and don't have a preference unless we get a sunny summer then plastic as it won't dry out as quickly as clay.  my best container to deter slug damage is a copper planter i was given and only use it on my tender specimens when all else fails i have looked for some more but they are pricey. Hope you are enjoying the thaw

22/04/2013 at 18:16
Hiya budlia63
Never really had a freeze down here.
That copper planter sounds perfect.
The garlic spray may be worth trying although I seem to grow hostas pretty well slug free...so far
22/04/2013 at 18:26

I do get serious frosts down and -25C is not unsuual in recent winters.    +38C happens for at least a week most summers.

All my pots for show are either thick, frost proof ceramic or terracotta look plastic.  Real terracotta isn't frost proof enough and flakes.  It also absorbs too much moisture in summer and can leave roots dry.   To save on weight and give some winter insulation, I use corks as ballast and crocks in the bottom.   They allow drainage but also absorb some water so roots don't dry out too quickly.    Works for my hostas, lillies, shrubs, herbs, dahlias, acers and veggies.

25/04/2013 at 23:24

If you want to keep them in terracota, try lining the pot sides with the compost bag.  Its at least something to do with them.  They soil and then the plants won't dry out quite as quickly

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages