Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where to buy plants in Surrey (not a garden centre)

Sarah 30Sarah 30 Posts: 16
Hello everyone! I was wondering if there are any alternative places to buy plants other than a garden centre? I know you can get a lot online but I do like to physically see the plants before I buy. I would like to shop with small businesses and give them my money. I'm such a novice so you will need to bear with me ????. Are garden nurseries like small independent garden centres?

• Sarah 30Sarah 30 Posts: 16
    *what are all those questions marks doing? Opps ????
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I don't live in Surrey, so can't give you any personal recommendations, but if I moved there I'd certain go and have a look at this place

http://www.springreachnursery.co.uk/

You could give this place a look too http://www.wolvertonplants.co.uk/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511
    I can recommend Perryhill Nurseries, in Hartfield, East Sussex. Not Surrey but only just outside it......don't know where in Surrey you are.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Dove

Springreach is only a few miles away from me and I didn't even know it was there, I may check it out myself .. image

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

This is in Kent, so possibly too far away from you, but The Hop Shop sells some plants - mainly lavender plants and apple trees, as far as I recall. It's a nice place to visit as well, especially when the lavender fields are in bloom.

And people opening their gardens for charity sometimes sell plants too. (Mind, if you are after specific plants, all these options might not work for you - the selection tends to be (understandably) limited at these events.)

(The Downderry Nursery is a great place too, but again, in Kent.)

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Don't know of any in Surrey, but if you are prepared to travel over the border into north Hampshire then Marina Christopher has a renowned nursery in Medstead, near Alton and Rosy Hardy is in Whitchurch, Hampshire.  

• Sarah 30Sarah 30 Posts: 16
    Thanks everyone! Funnily enough just after I posted this I picked up the NGS for surrey leaflet and there are adverts for plant fairs and Spring Reach image I will definitely be checking them out. Thanks again for all your help
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I didn't know Marina had her own nursery now. She's a plantswoman par excellence. I met her many times when she was at the nursery in Bentley.

Devon.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Hosta - Its called Phoenix Perennials, in Medstead, just off the A31.  But only open by appointment now.