Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Where would you put them?

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

the roses and clematis on my East-facing white brick wall are past their best (although hopefully some more blooms to come)..... But I have some well-developed black-eyed Suzie and am wondering whether it would be a good idea to plant them here - or should I put them to climb up the three roses I have in large containers? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Last summer I put Black-eyed Susie in a large pot with a 5 ft teepee of willow canes for them to climb up - they looked fantastic on the west-facing front porch and received lots of compliments.image

I don't like to have plants climbing up/over roses - think it's asking for fungal attack etc - I like to let the air get at the leaves - Black-eyed Suzie foliage can get quite dense.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

Thanks Dove. That makes a lot of sense. I have a long, four foot high trellis-type fence that faces West and I think I'll try them there. Will let you know how it goes.