London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 87 messages
05/08/2014 at 16:57
Hi guys and gals This is my first post so go easy on me. I have been reading a lot of information online but i figure it would be a lot easier getting the info from one place Right so here goes.... I live in the NW of england and i have nosey neighbours lol What I'm looking for are a few climbing plants that grow quickly and at least one of the 3 must reach at least 8ft in height. Im looking for plants that will grow well together and look nice on my 2 x 8ft trellis. The area gets around 8-9 hours full sun a day Id like to include Passion flower, honey suckle or fuscia also The plants need to also act as a privacy screen during winter so dying off is out of the question. I dont know if im being too optimistic to hope for 8ft of growth by the end of the year. I appreciate any replys and advice. Ty
05/08/2014 at 17:25

Clemetis armandii is quick growing and evergreen.  Some one else will come up with another idea Mick.

There are so many pleas for help for privacy in gardens.   If only we had more land in this country and were like Australia where they mainly build one story houses then this problem wouldn't arise. 

05/08/2014 at 17:37
Welcome

You really are pushing your luck for 8ft of growth this uear unless you have very deep pockets! I have seen companied advertising "ready made"hedges out of ivy, but i think they cost a bomb!
Also, anything thats very vigorous will swamp your passion flower etc until it is established.
Virginia creeper grows very fast, once established it will cover a fence panel in a season, has wonderful autumn colour but not evergreen.
The clematis Forester mentioned is a beauty, but took a couple of years to really get going in my garden, a very nice option tho
Persian ivy is nice, even bog standard ivy is very attractive, but both will take time to grow.
Would you consider something like pyracantha?

Have a look on ashridgetrees site, they have some really nice stuff, and give good info

You could try a rambling rose, lots of those are semi evergreen which means they only drop their leaves when it gets very very cold, many have a wonderful scent, bobby james is very popular
05/08/2014 at 17:59

Welcome Mick. I'm afraid unless as bekkie has said you spend more than a few quid, your wish won't come true. Going down the clematis armandii route will give you an evergreen screen, although it will get a lot bigger than 8 feet. Even a clematis montana will grow a lot taller. However having said that in winter with a bit of training it can provide a dense screen of although bare branches, it is difficult to see through, ask my neighbour at the back of me. The trouble you may have is the weight of any climber as you don't say how your trellis is held up.

A rose will lose it's leaves few will keep their leaves to any great extent.

Have you thought of bamboo, or a tall shrub, although again you have the issue of speed of growth.

There must be someone here can make another suggestion, so be patient.

05/08/2014 at 18:06

Not a climber  and not evergreen, but something that will give you four or five feet of growth in a season, is buddleia. Let it grow and don't prune it much and it will send up loads of branches and twigs that, just now, are covered in perfumed flowers and butterflies.

05/08/2014 at 18:11
Thank you for replys

My trellis is screwed directly to the fence with 2" spaces.
The trellis is sturdy enough to withstand some weight

It would be nice if i could have at least 3 varieties of plants (maybe even the same type but different colours.

Bare branches in the winter is not really ideal
Clematis seem v nice ????

Regarding the bamboo. I have actually taken some 7ft plants from next door (cluster type) and this acts as a screen for kitchen window behind my garden
I have two 8 ft trellis then either side covering the living room and another window.

The problem i have is my house is higher up than theirs so when i stand by the back door all i seem to see is this older couple standing and staring lol

PLEASE NOTE

it's only from 6ft to 8ft i require the screen as the fence is 6ft
Ty
05/08/2014 at 18:26

Which troubles you more, the fact that they are old or the fact that they are staring?

I'd give them something to stare at. And ask them if they'd like to join in

05/08/2014 at 18:33
lol pansy

Look i know what ppl think and thats....could it be that maybe they think the same as me.. "What does that family keep looking at" lol but it isn't the case. They will just stand there and stare for up to an hour and its a bit weird..
Look lol im a big lad at 6"3 and i dont wanna scare em im just getting a bit tired of feeling those eyes burrowing into my head lmao
05/08/2014 at 18:37

Give them a wave Mick, maybe they'd like to speak but can't get round to it. 

05/08/2014 at 18:39

Crikey!

05/08/2014 at 18:44
Haha i have waved numerous times but they just look away for a few mins lol

Now anyways lol...back to the remedy

I have been looking at Lonicera Honeysuckle in various colours
Would this plant fit the bill for climbing screen with year round cover?
05/08/2014 at 18:48

Make sure you get one of the evergreen species and it will

05/08/2014 at 18:51

Lonicera isn't generally evergreen but it is extremely twiggy and dense. It will take several years to build up enough mass to be a screen but it would do it eventually. However, to gain enough size to screen out your zombie neighbours it will occupy a space 8 feet high(if that is what you want) by 10 or more feet wide by at least 3 feet deep. Would you be able to accommodate that?

05/08/2014 at 18:59
I could accommodate the space but not the time.
I'm looking for something realistically i can plant now and by next year it will be 8ft ish

Im still loving the clematis tho also
05/08/2014 at 19:08
Back onto clematis

Could i plant these and would they reach 8 ft up a trellis inside a year?
Lol my head hurts now from all the youtube vids
05/08/2014 at 19:14
Id put something else in with the honeysuckle, in my opinion they arent as dense as i think you want, i would probably put clematis armandii and a montana in, that should do it. But like Dave said, beware of the weight, my armandii went through a metal support earlier this year and had to be cut ti the ground!

Also remember its not just what you grow, its your soil and care too, the richer your soil, the quicker these plants should grow

One rose i know that does keep it leaves (in my garden anyhoww) is alberic barbier,or something very similar!
05/08/2014 at 19:21

How about taking a photo Mick of the space you want to fill, and putting on here.  Make sure the old dears aren't watching though.

05/08/2014 at 19:24
Have you tried standing there naked?

My OH is a swine for wandering around starkers, neighbours dont look anymore!
05/08/2014 at 19:43
I still havnt worked out how to attach the quotes

Ty bekkie i have just been looking at the selection you suggested

The trellis is 3ft wide by 8ft tall so would you recommend only 1 of each of the 3 plants per trellis so.

1 x clematis armandii 1 x clematis Montana and 1
x honey suckle?

Just wondering about space per plant or will they all just intertwine
05/08/2014 at 20:44

Oh bekkie you make me die laughing! 

I'll let the others answer your plant question above Mick but to reiterate the others unless you can afford eight footers which are very expensive none of the plants will reach eight foot this summer or have time to spread out to cut out the stares but the ones you have chosen will look really pretty in time 

I have similar problem with trellis and looking through but not scarey starErs  

what I have done is attached decorative things in line with their eyes which in time when climbers I have in get bigger I can then remove the things  I've got wicker hearts and wicker heart shaped baskets but of course you could have what you like

They do lovely metal sculpture wall hanging type things if you fancy and not that expensive at places like dunelms 

1 to 20 of 87 messages