London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
10 messages
12/03/2013 at 00:59

i have a west facing 4ft hight wall approx 20ft long with a 2ft trellis on top of it with half a small arch at one end. (Total area of trellis is 8.5m x 0.6m)

it runs down my garden path and ideally i'd like a mixture of evergreen creepers which flower at different times of the year, therefore giving the trellis an enjoyable look for as long as possible throughout the year.

are there any specific plants which would fulfill my needs and quite happily live together? and how many of each plant would i need?

12/03/2013 at 06:48

I think I'd go for a mix of different clematis - some but not all are evergreen - have a look on here http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/ look at the different types and the sort of aspects they do best in and draw up a selection that you like.  

As you do that (make notes in a notebook that you'll keep) you'll be learning how best to meet those needs for planting, training and feeding etc - and make a note of the pruning groups so you know what to do and when.  

When you plant them I'd make sure they're well labelled, as next spring you'll find it hard to remember which is which and won't know when to prune each one.

Once your clematis get established you could plant a few different honeysuckles to twine amongst them - there are different ones with various colours and flowering times - it'll be a picture 

12/03/2013 at 07:17

As to how many you will need, you need to look at the pant label and see what the evntual size and spread of the plant is. It will look bare for at least a couple of years, but you could fill in with annual climbers such as sweet peas. 

Lyn
12/03/2013 at 09:58
As grandma says, also canary creeper, that will fill your space in no time, or morning glory, cup and saucer vine , or tie in some sunflowers for this year,
12/03/2013 at 11:58

Be careful, I put a winter flowering clematis with a sumer flowering as well as a winter jasmine. When it comes to pruning its difficult to decide which clematis is which.

12/03/2013 at 13:11

Good point Steph. I have an arch with 2 trellis panels and all the clematis are group 2 which makes it easy for me when pruning. I've grown a variety of climbers over them during the years but the mainstays over the arch are honeysuckle.

We replaced the trellis panels last month so I've a number of climbers in mind for this year. I have canary creeper, some new clematis and I'm thinking about Chilean glory vine and black-eyed Susan .

I used to grow cobaea from seed every year but it was a waste of time last year due to the lack of sun and the deluges so I'm not bothering this year.

Probally get a good summer this year now.

14/03/2013 at 00:26

a fair bit of help there, thankyou all!  what's with the group 2 pruning? by the sounds of it different climbers need pruning at different times of the year which then gives me another thing to think about when chosing which climbers... hmmmmm....

I'm liking the idea of filling in with annual climbers as well, i'm pretty new to gardening so all the terms such as annuals, hardy, evergreens etc are slowly dropping into place now! please be patient with me!

14/03/2013 at 00:31

group 2 = light pruning   

the internets a wonderful tool don't you think?

16/03/2013 at 00:40

....In the garden maybe?

16/03/2013 at 07:07

Good point, dave!

i have a shelf loaded with gardening books, probably because I'd rather read than work! however, it is so easy to look things up on the net that they are now hardly ever opened. All the info you need is out there.

It is true that different plants need different pruning, but unless you mix them up you won't have a long season of flowering. What is invaluable is a notebook, somthing I omitted to have in my earlier years of gardening and now really regret. If you keep a note of what you planted and where, together with maybe a note on the pruning and flowering seasons and eventual size, you'll be able to prune each. I also have things growing through each other, and sometimes have a problem deciding which should be pruned, It doesn't matter that much because the worst that can happen with most plants is that I lose some of this year's flowers. There's such a lot of enjoyment in learning about plants and how to nurture each one, and I still have a lot to learn. I really hope you have a lot of fun in the process.

email image
10 messages