London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
11 messages
30/03/2013 at 15:06

Ive never grown Delphiniums before and I fancy sowing some seeds this spring. But im unsure which veriety to buy. Crocus have the Centurian Blue F1 which look nice, but they are £5 for 10 seeds. 

So im after some advice on which Delphiniums people here have grown well from seed?

30/03/2013 at 15:12

Open pollinated ones are cheaper but what you get is in the lap of the gods-an F1 will do what is says on the packet

It depends what you want

Incidentally you are unlikely to get them in flower for this year-but they will do next year

30/03/2013 at 15:14

Ahh, didnt realise they wouldnt flower this year, thanks. So are they bi-annual like Foxgloves?

30/03/2013 at 15:19

Now they are perennials- but are unlikely to flower in the first year the later the sowing and we are getting into that period

30/03/2013 at 15:50

Ok, thanks. Perhaps I'll sow some seeds for next year, but also buy some plants for this year. 

Thanks geoff

30/03/2013 at 16:32

I haven't the room for great big delphiniums but I usually grow a dwarf variety  delphinium chinensis blue butterfly (as an annual) from seed. It flowers the first year and does best in pots.

http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_440d_delphinium_chinensis_blue_butterfly_seeds

trying a new one this year naudicaule red fox

http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/flowers/perennial-seeds/delphinium-nudicaule-red-fox

both are quite small, supposed to be perennial but I've not managed to get the blue one through winter yet,,,they look great in pots.

30/03/2013 at 19:40

I have grown delphiniums from seed from packet called "Blue Mountains" - they were not F1's but all came up various shades of blue - they were from one of the main seed suppliers (unwins/suttons/T&M - can't remember which, but they were from a GC). 

Mine did not flower when you would expect them to in the first year, but a few flowered in September.  They all bloomed in May/June the following year, and are still going strong (yr 4).  They are not the monster tall ones - about 4 feet.

Hope you have success - delphs are my all time favourite !

30/03/2013 at 19:44

Sorry - got the name wrong - they were "Blue Fountains"

31/03/2013 at 14:54

By chance I was going through my seed tin today and came accross some Delphinuim seeds given to me by a neighbour in 2008 that I had forgotten about. Who reckons they will be any good? They have been kept dry but im unsure..

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps6605055b.jpg

31/03/2013 at 14:58

LeadFarmer, theres no harm in trying, I've sowed some foxglove seeds that were meant to be sown by 2005 last year (given to me by an old bloke I know) and some grew, some didn't, but it's worth having a go and much cheaper than buying them in shops

01/04/2013 at 01:52
I planted giant paciffic in oct last year and have loads left. Your welcome to some if you want? They are tall blue, white, lilacy colours. They are a mix. Im not sure if mine will flower this year but they are standing at about 10-12 inches in 8 inch pots. If you would like some...pm me your address an I will get them to you
email image
11 messages