London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
6 messages
01/08/2013 at 16:28

Hi there - I have a large conifer hedge in my garden and a flower bed in front of it, that is currently bare. The flowerbed gets full sun sometimes and shade at other times (depending on time of day/year). I need an evergreen shrub, preferably a flowering one (time of year for flowering not important), that will look nice at a height of about 1 metre - this is to hide the bits of the conifer hedge that have gone brown! I live on the coast, so it gets a bit windy sometimes, but it is not an exposed location as such. As you can probably tell, I am a complete beginner at gardening! Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks .

01/08/2013 at 16:50

..here's one I grow that is currently just over a metre tall after about 3 years...

..very hardy...tough...easy to buy, and suitable for seaside and drought - unfortunately we also see it in in plantings around car parks...so it's nothing unusual...but we needn't worry about that..

in full bloom now... Olearia x haastii....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28614.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

01/08/2013 at 16:51

or one of the hebes.

01/08/2013 at 17:05

Escallonia? It's happy on the coast and easy to keep to a reasonable size. Flowers early summer.

01/08/2013 at 17:35

Hi Salino, nutcutlet and Fairygirl - thanks so much for responding so quickly! Very much appreciated. And thanks for taking the time to upload the photo too, Salino! I look forward to investigating these suggestions. Really nice to know there are people out there willing to offer advice

01/08/2013 at 18:52

Sarah, sarcoccoca ...sweet box....will grow very well there.  Scent in late winter from an evergreen compact shrub is wonderful.  Choisyas too....both green and yellow forms...provide scent in spring for quite a long time.  these are lovely shiny leaved compact shrubs with bay scented foliage.

email image
6 messages