Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Which flowers do I sow now?

I am looking for your advice to get a head start on next year.

Which flowers do I sow now for early blooms or better success

• I will ll be sowing

Ammi Majus & Visnaga

Scabiosa

Euphorbia Oblongata,

Cornflowers

Larkspur

Calendula and a few perennials too.

Sarah Ravens website is good for info on what seeds to sow and when.

I've also started off some sweet williams which should be ready to plant out at the end of September for early blooms next spring.

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• I am thinking of oryala(is that how it is spelt?),cornflower, corncockle,cerinthe and possibly some scabious.

Are sweet peas better plants sown now or in spring? I didn't get round to growing any this year

• I didn't have much success with my sweet peas so I can't really say. You could try sowing at both times and see which are most successful.

• The Autumn sown ammi were fabulous, about 6 feet tall and covered in hoverflies and bees but they take up a lot of space and I made the mistake of sowing too many seeds and planted too many in cutting patch. I will only be sowing small batches of seeds this year, lesson learned! The Scabiosa have been well worth it as well as antirrhinum as you can cut them back and they will keep on blooming. 

• Please can you tell me if you sow these directly in the ground or into trays & do you need to keep them warm?

In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.
  • i will be sowing small amounts of seed into 3" pots or small trays. Or you could use a larger tray and have several rows of different seeds, which ever suits u best. Just label everything you sow. Some prefer sowing directly in the ground but then the seedlings are at the mercy of slugs and snail and weeds. You could try both methods, see which do better. I have a cold frame and my seeds will go in there last year I had seeds all over the house on window sill bottoms or on the floor in front of patio doors.

• Hey I just planted some borage seed into pots and put them in the polytunnel when should I plant them outside? Should I wait until spring?

• If it were me I'd wait until after the frosts in spring. 

• I am really excited now with potentially 6 feet tall ammi majus and bushy snapdragons.

They go on the list

• The Snapdragons were the smallest seedlings I've ever pricked out but well worth the effort!