Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

Sammymummy

Hi everyone

Please can you tell me the name of this geranium? I think I bought it from a plant stall in the market last year, so it just said  geranium. Thank you in advance for your help.

Topbird

Looks like one of the Geranium Macrorrhizums 

nutcutlet

I looks a bit small, I wonder if it's the cross between macrorrhizum and dalmatica. G. x cantabrigiense. 'Biokovo' is about that colour. Has the macrorrhizum leaf smell 

Advertisement

Sammymummy

Hi all

Just been out to smell the leaves - it does smell, a bit unpleasant to me though.

Fairygirl

I thought it looked like biokovo too. I have that here. It's nowhere near flowering yet though. I can hardly detect any  smell on foliage anyway - so pointless me going out to check the leaves! 

Sammymummy

Is it meant to smell nice? I've decided I don't like the smell. It looks like it could either be Ingwerson or Biokovo. Thank you.

Topbird

I agree the colour is about right for Biokovo - but I thought the leaves looked a bit too dull (I mean a bit 'flat' - not a bit boring) and 'felty' for biokovo. My biokovo leaves are a bit glossy.

Fairygirl

You might well be right T'bird.

It's not to my taste at all (biokovo) but it was one of the few things in this garden when I moved here - it currently resides at the front gate where I don't have to look at it! 

Sammymummy

The flowers are pale pink and the leaves are soft green, very slightly felty, but not glossy.

Topbird

I think it's a macca SM - good doer for a tricky spot but not one of my favourite geraniums.

I really like biokovo though - have a lot of it as ground cover under big shrubs and roses - nearly evergreen and keeps down the weeds

Fairygirl

Too 'peely wally' for me T'bird  

- but you're right - keeps weeds down and almost evergreen, so it's useful in tricky areas.

Mark56

Looks a great deal like my macrorhizum 'spessart'

nutcutlet

flowering now favours macrorrhizum. Maybe it's not as small as I thought