London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
9 messages
18/05/2012 at 16:43

Hi there, I was looking for some recomendations, I've had a look on the plant finder and the one I really like is the Orange Peel one!

I'm a bit worried it might grow too much. does anyone know of any "dwarf" or at least smaller varitites, Orange peel can grow up to 4m or alternatively does anyone know if thhey are easy to keep in check?

19/05/2012 at 13:18

It grows really slowly and you can prune it. My parents garden had one that is less than 2 metres tall and is over 30 years old. 4 metres is max at 15 years in ideal conditions.

Yesterday at 22:19
I really want a witch hazel but I need it to have an upright habit, I was looking at 'Harry'. I want good scent, autumn leaf colour and upright habit, has anyone any experience with 'harry'
Yesterday at 22:52

I have a few and have noticed the ones with red flowers have the best autumn colour - not sure what flowers Harry has?.  Diana is a good one for red flowers.  Pallida has big yellow flowers, but the leaves just go yellow in the autumn, as opposed to red and orange like the others - hope this helps

Yesterday at 23:30

I grow just one Mollis pallida. it is nice, scented, and attractive.  Easily pruned but so far I have done very little of that in 6 years.  I think there are more colourful varieties now and possibly stronger scented 

Edd
Today at 09:24

I have a 'DIANE' Witch Hazel that is a dark red rather than the pinks of the Chinese Witch Hazel. It is very colourful (red leaves with a thin yellow edge around the leaves)

Today at 10:42

I planted a Diane about 10 years ago but she was clobbered by a very hard winter which also killed off a northofagus antartica, some golden conifers, a choisya ternata Sundance, an eleagnus and all 5 of my viburnum tinus.

I have since planted an Orange Peel which was also clobbered by a hard winter which began with a heavy snow fall at the beginning of December and went on till late March.  However this one has regrown and is now a lovely shrub with great autumn colour.  Lots of new stems this year after a mild winter so I'm expecting good lfowering and perfume next February if the winter is kind.   Fingers crossed.

Edd
Today at 11:42

That is a hell of a lot to lose obelixx  You must have been gutted.

I suppose it gives you the chance to experience new trees though.

Today at 12:22

Hi Edd.  Yes, it was shsattering but we did have a -32C that January.  Lost some roses and clematis too and nearly every stem of a huge Kiftsgate but it has now recovered and regrown.    I haven't planted new large trees as, somehow, a self sown oak has arrived where the nothofagus was and I'm letting that be for now.  

Deciduous forms of viburnum are just about OK but I've mostly been planting colourful stemmed cornus and hydrangea paniculata forms which stand up - so far - to anything we get here although even those were clobbered and defoliated by a freak hailstone tornado last May. 

I think maybe when OH retires at the end of next year we'll be looking for a more sheltered garden to nurture.

email image
9 messages