Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

White Dianthus "Memories"

I have three of these, planted last summer.  They have flowered very well this year but two of them have gone all whiteish brown at the bottom third of their stems, which looks very ugly.  What has caused this, and do I ditch them?  The photo below was taken a month ago, and if you zoom onto the base of the plant you will see its beginning to turn brown.

• AirwavesAirwaves Posts: 82

I too grow this plant, it has a lovely perfume.  The browning happens with many dianthus. I try to trim as much of the browning off as possible, then with a hand fork I loosen the soil. This is followed by a good watering and a seaweed feed

Now is a good time to take cuttings Gently pull a slip, a on flowering shoot, dip into water, then into hormone rooting powder and plant around the edge of a plant pot

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,658

I have some of this plant too. Beautiful smell. Mine looked a little sorry for themselves too last week, have cut them back a bit and now have new buds on them. They do like a drink, a couple of mine are in pots.

• Hi Verdun, yes it does have a wonderful scent.  I think the "mildew" goes right down to the base, so I shall be cutting the foliage off at ground level.  I have three plants in a row, but only the two outside ones are affected.  Yet they've all been treated exactly the same!  No need to water today though as we've just had an almighty downpour!