Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Who else loves the humble sempervivum

Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

I used to smile when my OH talked about her lovely "semperviviums" (sic). Every time we went to a garden centre she would browse looking for new ones, at less than £1. I let her get on with it, buying, planting, replanting offshoots. But recently I have become a real fan. Some have really lovely leaf colour and shape, some with a fine cobweb like fur on top. What I really like is that they are a) evergreen, so good ground cover b) very hardy (we haven't lost one in the last two cold winters), c) withstand drought when most other plants are suffering, and d) so easy to propagate. They can die in the middle after flowering, but by this time 10 or 12 offshoots form a ring round the old parent, so you just do a little rearranging. 

Tomorrow we are off to the garden centre to seek out some more, and some baby bush tomato plants. 

• boozysuzyboozysuzy Posts: 27

I love them too!  For all the reasons you mention above.  They are brilliant for getting into nooks and crannies where other plants would struggle.  Over the past few years I have really come to appreciate succulents and I am slowly making a nice collection of them.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I'm fond of them too, particularly for their leaf colours.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I planted some last year in the roof garden on Insect Towers.  Looks like they've come through the winter OK and far better than the dwarf sedums so I'll be looking out for more this spring.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

I expanded my collecting last year because I love the shape and forms as well as the colours. I take a lot of photos up close and personal as they have a slightly alien look. The common ones do fine all year round with me, but I brought a slightly tender blue type last year that I divided in the autumn and over wintered outside in pots. I should have protected them better because the snowy weather obliterated them, but now I've discovered they are shooting anew from further down the stems, so they're not actually dead, just knocked back. whoop whoop!

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

I love Sempervivums,too! This is one of my sinks image

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m551/lilylouise1/path011.jpg

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Well one does have a number to look out for, there are over 900 named cultivars in the national collection.

• madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I too have just discovered how beautiful sempervivums can be.Have about a dozen different varieties at the moment but I expect that will increase over time!!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

We love sempervivums - used to have a long narrow raised brick bed of them alongside the front path of the Victorian terraced cottage where we used to live - they looked lovely with gravel around them.  Now we have some in a terracotta pot on the terrace. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.