London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
18/03/2014 at 17:10

What seeds do we all have ready in waiting? Especially interested in things that will be sown direct, as thats what most of mine will be... Im having to sit on my hands to stop myself from getting started already!

18/03/2014 at 17:31

LbH, not sowing anything direct quite yet, except for radishes, carrots, red baron onion sets and potatoes in bags, though I started them off in the g/h. Oh, and some spinach which is coming up nicely; 2 or 3 cm high now. Peas and broad beans went in last Autumn, but I have filled in the gaps with more seed.

Flowers; I will enlarge the flower beds a bit and then sow some annuals direct

18/03/2014 at 18:05

Only sown a few salad crops directly so far and they are in the raised bed that I warmed up with a fleece covering, have a lot of brassicas in modules and onion and shallots in modues too in the polytunnel.

As its forecast to turn cold again next week will probably wait till April now before any more direct sowing, then it will be parsnips, beetroot, carrot and some mange tout peas.

18/03/2014 at 19:28
It's so hard to be patient!! When does the 'last frost' usually happen?
18/03/2014 at 19:36

I made a list on Thursday of what veg I am going to grow, not got the seeds yet though and not sowed anything direct.

I have tomatoes (first seedling peeping through today), cucumbers and aubergines in seed trays on my windowsill (they will be moved to the GH as soon as is it ready).

I have also sown quite a few flower seeds and will be sowing my poppies at weekend now the grass has dried out a bit and I can get to the border they are going in, it's very exciting this year as I have never done so much and am a newbie too 

18/03/2014 at 19:42

Is your greenhouse heated Tracey? You might need to keep the toms, cucumbers and aubergines indoors for a while yet if not.

18/03/2014 at 21:14

loganb, I have always been told to expect frost up to May18th and then sort of ignore that info except for VERY frost tender plants. So my pelagoniums that have been in the g/h for the winter will go out on April 1st as I need the space in the g/h for seedlings. For sowing seeds directly outside it is a good idea to warm up the soil with cloches/plastic sheeting/old bits of polycarbonate, whatever you have or can get hold of. So warm the soil up for 2 weeks, sow your seeds and have some fleece perhaps to put on top to keep the heat in?

18/03/2014 at 21:34

I seem to be the odd one out.  Being on my own now.  For me to grow loads of veg etc would be such a waste.  At the moment the supermarket prices are low, mind you.  Have you noticed, especially with the tatties (scotch for murphy's Irish for spuds)  You no sooner get them home and they are sprouting right left and center.  I had a few such one recently.  So filling the odd long tom, I popped them in.  Truly I have no idea what variety they were but, within a few weeks I pulled them.  Great spuds, reasonable size and good flavour.

Regarding seeds in genereal.  I have loads to sow.  Annuals, biennials perennials and greenhouse subjects.  Truthfully if onlt ten percent grow.  I have no idea as to where I will plant them.  All of a sudden my tiny garden is already full.

18/03/2014 at 21:55

Ditto Mike. Usually giving more away than I use myself

Better to have too many than not enough!

I have only sowed 1 tray of annuals so far, Lobelia,Bidens, Gerberas and some Zinnias which germinated very quickly in the heated propogator. I popped them in the greenhouse today as I dont want them stretching on my windowsill.

18/03/2014 at 22:23

I had to smile at your comment  scroggin, at the moment my greenhouse is very warm......flat packed in my dining room LOL!!  By the time it gets assembled I don't think I will need extra heating 

19/03/2014 at 00:01

I'm only going for direct sowing this year after a complete disaster with my first years efforts  only 3 actually bothered to poke their heads above soil seed compost 

I don't have much of a plan but was going to sprinkle liberally around the garden to create an 'interesting' hotch potch! Knowing my luck the blighters won't take and it will put me off growing from seed for a while!  Or at least until I get seduced by seed packets again and wanto give it another go 

I've got some poppies, corn flowers and scented night stock (I'm sure I have more but can't remember right now - sorry) 

19/03/2014 at 00:12

Where to start...

First off I am not growing anything at home, I don't have the ideal situations for seed growing.  But at one of my jobs I have access to a massive greenhouse so in there I have;

Tomato (continental seeds - one large fruit and one small fruit)

Leeks

Lettuce

Amaranthus

Poppies x 5

Cornflowers (sowed some direct earlier in the year and the slugs ate them all)

Scabious

Sweet Peas

Teloxys

Quinoa

Electric Daisies

Mignonette

Sunflowers

Osteospermum

Nigella

Tarragon

And I am sure I have missed some, but today I bought;

Peas (slugs are munching through the direct sowing made three weeks ago)

Broad Beans

Aubergine

Sweet Peppers

And I have direct sowed some parsnips, carrots, lettuce and spring onions.

These are not all for me!  They will be shared around several jobs that I do.

Happy growing everyone

19/03/2014 at 06:14

I've already sowed some beetroot, and I'm itching to get on with tomatoes, runner beans, borlotti beans, wax beans, courgettes etc. as well as some annuals for the flower beds etc.  

However, the big focus here is still on getting the pond finished so we can get the bed around it planted, then we'll be on to digging a new border in the front garden, so need to sow seeds for the new beds too. 

19/03/2014 at 08:36

Tracey, that is indeed a very warm greenhouse. I'm in the same position as you and have all my seeds germinating, growing on the windowsills, its so bad I have had to put extension shelves by the window to take all the seed trays. One day I will get my heated greenhouse but probably not until the kids have stopped emptying the wallet as soon as it leaves the emergency room.

19/03/2014 at 08:51

LOL Scroggin, I had a GH but it wasn't safe and I didn't use it, so have taken it down, bought a new one and now just waiting, and waiting, and waiting.......windowsill extensions, never heard of them, what a fab idea 

19/03/2014 at 09:19

Nothing fancy Tracey just some L brackets and sections of board, I can then extend out the windowsill a further 6" or so and when the season is finished just take the brackets of the wall. It means I can get 12" seed trays comfortably on the south facing windows.

19/03/2014 at 11:29

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39823.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

Red cabbages, peas, French beans, runner beans onions and yellow rattle.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39822.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39821.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

19/03/2014 at 11:32

Man&g, quinoa; how easy is it to grow? and how do you harvest it?

20/03/2014 at 19:45

It's the first time I've grown it! 

Its germinated well after 1 week and I'll probably prick it out on wednesday. I germinated it in cheap multi-purpose covered in vermiculite in an unheated propagator in the greenhouse, though temperatures down here havent really dropped below 5 degrees outside at night.

There are instructions on harvesting it, but I don't have the packet here. I think you dry it and then can either blitz it in a food processor or whack it, then separate the chaff on a breezy day. 

I'll keep you updated.

20/03/2014 at 20:18

Well i sown quite a few plants, mostly bedding plants so far. 

Petunia - asters - nasturtium -  sweet peas - begonia - lobelia - dahlia - delphinium - stock - marigolds - cornflower - antirrhinium - gazania - mesembryanthemums - campanula - amaranthus - nigellia - swan river daisy - mimulus - hollyhock - geranium - bussy lizzy - verbenia - tomatoes - onions. I have sow multiple variety's of most of the plants i have named as well  

No sowing outside yet due frost this weekend

Still got a load more to do but weather changing again , so nearly ever windowsill in the house has got plant trays on it now  to expensive to heat greenhouse. 

1 to 20 of 21 messages