Start a new thread

1 to 18 of 18 replies

Yviestevie

Hi Everyone,  I have had a Purple Passionflower in my garden for the past 4 years.  Last year it didnt flower but this year it is a mass of flowers but the are all white!! I know plants can revert to the natural colours over time but I thought the purple was the original heres a piccy

Yviestevie

Hi Dover,  Only one stem and its never had a single white flower before this year.

Dovefromabove

How odd - maybe it does change on the plant   It certainly looks like Constance Elliot doesn't it?

Yviestevie

It certainly looks like the one on the link.  Ill keep an eye on it and see any of the other buds do open purple.

Advertisement

I've grown P Constance Elliot and it always remained true........so........peculiar to say the least

Dovefromabove

Are you sure someone didn't manage to kill the first one while you were away for a weekend and they got another and planted it and that's why it didn't flower last year ........... I'm always one for a conspiracy theory 

Hadn't even thought of that...  JFK and now Constance Elliot........the plot thickens

Dovefromabove

Who was Constance Elliott ???  Anything to do with these two? 

You've got me there Dove........either of those  2 look  as if they could conspire for England tho

Maybe it calls for a new Thread...........How, Why and After Whom do some of these plants get their names from ?  Apart from boring celebrities that is

But an intriguing subject don't you think ?

Yviestevie

Im positive no-one killed it off last year.  I think I was a bit harsh with the pruning so it just didnt flower just plenty of leaves.   A bit like my wisteria, although I'm certain Ive got it right this year and I just know I am going to have so many flowers next spring........

fidgetbones

I have had a few strange colours this year. My Rosa filipes seedling that normally has a pink bud, but opens to white,has all pink flowers at the top of the hawthorn where it gets more sunshine. The rest of the flowers are white.

I have a dahlia,that for 2 years has been peach and coral, but this year is opening a much deeper colour.

certainly some sweet peas that I have are a much deeper colour than on the packet. I have put it down to the weather. I cant see what else would be different. The dahlias are in a different position, but the rose is neither pruned nor fed.

fidgetbones

I found this tonight looking for a Cornus. Maybe the weather does have something to do with it.

Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' is an exceptionally free flowering selection with masses of large, rich-pink flower bracts in June. On occasions white flowers may be borne, sometimes on the north side of the plant whilst the south facing aspect has pink flowers.

Yviestevie

Will its on a southfacing fence and always has been.  The funny this is I quite fancied a white one and thought I might plant it close by so they would intertwine.  Perhaps senility really has set in and I did this and just forgot about it!!!!!

Ah well..........if it is just senility as opposed to conspiracy.......join the club

Advertisement

anthony mcglen

hi all would love to grow this but every time I buy one it gets killed off in winter. some  help with this please on how to get this plant thru a winter after been planted in the ground all summer.

Yviestevie

Hi Anthony,  I live in suburban area in the midlands, Ive had a passionflower at every house Ive lived in and they have never been a problem.  I havent done anything special, do you live in a colder rural area where you might get colder winters?

Toady
The white flower may be a "sport" which is a naturally occurring phenomenon, new varieties sometimes come from propagation of "sports". I once witnessed a white flower on one stem of a pink Hydrangea but failed to take a cutting and have never seen said Hydrangea produce another like it, doh!