London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
18 messages
05/07/2014 at 16:02

Hi Everyone,  I have had a Purple Passionflower in my garden for the past 4 years.  Last year it didnt flower but this year it is a mass of flowers but the are all white!! I know plants can revert to the natural colours over time but I thought the purple was the original heres a piccy

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51696.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

05/07/2014 at 16:06

The photo looks like Passiflora caerulea 'Constance Elliot' which can have white or blue filaments  http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/passiflora-caerulea-constance-eliott/classid.1698/ , but I don't know why yours used to have blue and now has white - is there more than one stem coming from the roots - could there be two plants there?

05/07/2014 at 16:13

Hi Dover,  Only one stem and its never had a single white flower before this year.

05/07/2014 at 16:16

How odd - maybe it does change on the plant   It certainly looks like Constance Elliot doesn't it?

05/07/2014 at 16:27

It certainly looks like the one on the link.  Ill keep an eye on it and see any of the other buds do open purple.

05/07/2014 at 17:19

I've grown P Constance Elliot and it always remained true........so........peculiar to say the least

05/07/2014 at 17:36

Are you sure someone didn't manage to kill the first one while you were away for a weekend and they got another and planted it and that's why it didn't flower last year ........... I'm always one for a conspiracy theory 

05/07/2014 at 17:44

Hadn't even thought of that...  JFK and now Constance Elliot........the plot thickens

05/07/2014 at 17:51

Who was Constance Elliott ???  Anything to do with these two? 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51706.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

05/07/2014 at 18:06

You've got me there Dove........either of those  2 look  as if they could conspire for England tho

Maybe it calls for a new Thread...........How, Why and After Whom do some of these plants get their names from ?  Apart from boring celebrities that is

But an intriguing subject don't you think ?

05/07/2014 at 18:20

Im positive no-one killed it off last year.  I think I was a bit harsh with the pruning so it just didnt flower just plenty of leaves.   A bit like my wisteria, although I'm certain Ive got it right this year and I just know I am going to have so many flowers next spring........

05/07/2014 at 20:27

I have had a few strange colours this year. My Rosa filipes seedling that normally has a pink bud, but opens to white,has all pink flowers at the top of the hawthorn where it gets more sunshine. The rest of the flowers are white.

I have a dahlia,that for 2 years has been peach and coral, but this year is opening a much deeper colour.

certainly some sweet peas that I have are a much deeper colour than on the packet. I have put it down to the weather. I cant see what else would be different. The dahlias are in a different position, but the rose is neither pruned nor fed.

05/07/2014 at 22:34

I found this tonight looking for a Cornus. Maybe the weather does have something to do with it.

Cornus kousa 'Miss Satomi' is an exceptionally free flowering selection with masses of large, rich-pink flower bracts in June. On occasions white flowers may be borne, sometimes on the north side of the plant whilst the south facing aspect has pink flowers.

06/07/2014 at 20:52

Will its on a southfacing fence and always has been.  The funny this is I quite fancied a white one and thought I might plant it close by so they would intertwine.  Perhaps senility really has set in and I did this and just forgot about it!!!!!

06/07/2014 at 20:56

Ah well..........if it is just senility as opposed to conspiracy.......join the club

07/07/2014 at 08:28

hi all would love to grow this but every time I buy one it gets killed off in winter. some  help with this please on how to get this plant thru a winter after been planted in the ground all summer.

07/07/2014 at 11:32

Hi Anthony,  I live in suburban area in the midlands, Ive had a passionflower at every house Ive lived in and they have never been a problem.  I havent done anything special, do you live in a colder rural area where you might get colder winters?

10/07/2014 at 20:20
The white flower may be a "sport" which is a naturally occurring phenomenon, new varieties sometimes come from propagation of "sports". I once witnessed a white flower on one stem of a pink Hydrangea but failed to take a cutting and have never seen said Hydrangea produce another like it, doh!
email image
18 messages