Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wierd roses

Two years ago my daughter was given a red rose on valentines day. When the flower head had died It looked as if the stem and leaf were still healthy, so I dead headed it and trimmed the stem then just pushed it into a pot in the garden. You can imagine my amazement when it started to throw out some shoots and then produced a beautiful red flower and then two flowers last year and looks to be doing even better this year. This year my wife was given eight yellow roses for mothers day, so I decided to do the same. out the eight six are growing. My question is :- I was always told that roses should be grafted onto a wild rose stock and wont grow any other way. I did notice that the roses Ive planted were of  the thorn less variety would this make a difference?. Ive never heard of this happening before (I,m 53) Have you? 

• hollytreehollytree Posts: 36

Roses can grow in a variety of ways.  They can grow from seed, cuttings etc. just like any other shrub.  Cuttings will be true but seed will always be variable as most garden roses today are hybrids.  The rootstock is used for consistency and also to establish the size of rose.  For commercial purposes growers need consistent quality and grafting onto a root stock is the only way to ensure this but ordinary cuttings should grow well for us gardeners.

• lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

That's fascinating, I feel a little dumb, but I had never correlated cut roses as being the same as a regular cutting :0). I'm going to try this myself! Thanks! 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I tried to take cuttings from my gertrude jekyll last year, read how to do it,followed instructions, 3 cuttins started to do well and show some life,then died, they were on south facing windowsill in late summer, any ideas why none took?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

It might have been too hot for them. I tend to put cuttings into a gritty compost and leave them in a shady, but not dark, place until they've rooted.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

outdoors? haven't got a greenhouse what then,do you plant out in bed or pot?

• I too have grown roes from cuttings and agin - one was from a valentines rose- both have flowered this year - am taken aback a little- hope they continue to bloom

• PeterE17PeterE17 Posts: 129

Long ago when I lived in a city, the railings of the park that faced our streets had been planted with a wonderful hedge of roses. When the council announced they were grubbing them up, so they could paint the railings green, my neighbour said he planned to take cuttings and grow his own roses ... and that was the first I heard of that method as well.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

for rose cuttings, take a foot  long non flowered woody  shoot about the thickness of a pencil. You can do this in the winter.  Insert into a slit trench, with sand or grit at the bottom. bury it half way. Leave for at least a year, until it  is clearly growing. Then transplant into final position during the following winter.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Thers an article this month on the website on how to take rose cuttings.