Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wild Flower Identification Needed.

Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Has anyone any idea what flower this seed head has come from.  On todays walk there were rows of these seed heads.  They were about 2 feet tall and in a wooded trackside where lots of bluebells grow.   They looked so pretty in the frost.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

alstromeria have their seeds in round pods, sorry, but I don't know what it is.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I was given some seeds from a red flowering variety. The owner said it's the only variety she's ever found to set seed.

I've grown them this year, they come true and have set seed. In polytunnel now and I hope the seed pods ripen so I can have some more.

Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,025

It isn't alstromeria. It looks so familiar, but I can't think what it is. Looks as though it should have had a purple thistle like head.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are the seeds still there or is this what's left when the seeds have gone?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • No, it isn't knapweed. Looks more like a member of the onion family to me.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I'll go and tap them to see if there are any seeds.  Back later.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

If there are any seeds how about setting them and see what comes up?

I'd only keep in a pot though just in case it's one which you can't get rid of .

But let us know what they produceimage

Just tapped it and no seeds coming out.  It feels very stiff to touch.  It almost seems that the seeds may be the parachute type like dandelions and blew away months ago. I may have to wait till the summer and walk along that track to identify them.  It will probably turn out to be a most insignificant flower!! 

• I think its a cone flower

Fabio 2 - Cone flower seems to be the closest as I have Googled "dried seedhead" images and there are a couple that look similar which are labelled as cone flower. However, looking in my wild flower book there is no mention of cone flowers in the wild?  These seed heads were sighted in a mixed woodland where there are no near houses.  It is also shaded in summer with tree cover and ferns and sedges after the bluebells have done their thing.  I think cone flower like a sunny spot which makes the mystery deepen.image