Start a new thread

I sewed a couple of boxes of mixed wildflower seed about 10 days ago. Some regular looking seedlings have appeared plus quite a few shoots that look like odometer kind of grass. Does that sound right or could it be grass somehow left behind when we dug the border?

Sara 4

I nearly googled odometer grass to see what it was, until I saw your second post!  I have previously bought a wildflower mix (in my last garden) which produced grass, dead nettles and birds-eye and nothing else. Admittedly I did buy my mix from a pound type shop not known for horticultural expertise, so I daresay it served me right.

Oh no! My little box was only £2 :-/  it promibad various types of flower on the box though!

Oh god...promised. Bleeding autocorrect.

Advertisement

Sara 4

I think mine just said wild flowers, which I suppose dead nettles etc are - you might get the most superb array in which case what's a blade of grass or two between friends? I don't know about you but I can't actually tell what's a weed until it is completely obvious so if your bits of grass are very short they could be about to turn into something more exciting.

Dovefromabove

And some grasses are very useful to insects - particularly some butterflies.

Lets hope they do turn into something otherwise I'll have to dig it all out and start again. 

Dove I have quite a phobia of butterflies so if I end up attracting them I'll be admiring my garden from the window!

Dovefromabove

Oh dear - how difficult and sad for a gardener - I know that phobias can cause real problems - have you tried any therapy? 

nutcutlet

Perhaps a wildflower mix wasn't the best choice for you Kirsty 

No I just try to avoid them at all costs, or shut my eyes and pretend they're not there!