Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Will my euonymous climb up the fence?

I got one of these for £2 from the garden centre:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=764

The label says it will grow to 2 metres if against a fence but no mention of this on the RHS website.  Will it creep up the fence and how does it cling on?

I'm trying to fill a spot where I've already had one failure (clematis armandii - too windy) and I want another plant to work out as planned!

Thanks for any info.

• They'll sort of grow against the fence but they don't climb.  

I've also seen one effectively topiarised in layers against a wall and it's grown quite high, but I think it's been tied in to supports.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I thought 'climb' might be the wrong word!  I've got wires due to the failed clematis but I was keen to find out if it will grow to the top of the (6 ft) fence as I'd like next-doors carport obscured.

• It won't climb up there as quickly as a climber will Jim.  

Tell us a bit more about the site - someone may have a better idea image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I had about six metres of south west facing fence to fill which we look out onto and is by the patio. The ceanothus is growing well, I have a decidious honeysuckle and two decidious clematis but I wanted an evergreen plant near the house so that some of the fence is covered all year.  I got clematis armandii and after initally growing well the growing tips died after some strong spring winds and then the leaf tips started going brown.

I made a mistake as I grew sunflowers near it and this finished it off I think with the hot weather.  There is a gap between the fence and house which creates a wind tunnel effect although that area may always be windy as it is in the corner of our 100ft garden.  I'd love an evergreen climber but they all say they need a sheltered site, that is why I got the euonymous as I think I read it can cope with a windy site.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I've got this plant growing up a wall, next to a blue Ceanothus....  it does cling to the brick wall, it sticks to it rather like Ivy does but not as adherent...gusty wind might dislodge it... however it takes its time and for a year or two some of the stems seem to struggle to hang on there... but after nearly 4 years now it's growing away.... I'll take a photo later so you can see... I'm not sure how it would cope with a wooden fence, it might not be able to get the adhesion necessary... but worth a try...

• Salino, what plant are you talking about?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Euonymous will grow quite happily up against walls and fences and have the appearance of a climber even though it grows in  different way.  It'll take a while to reach the height of that fence though, Jim. Escallonia (evergreen) will grow up against a fence and can be kept quite 'flat' against it with a bit of pruning now and again.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609
    landgirl100 wrote (see)

Salino, what plant are you talking about?

..Euonymous 'Emerald n Gold'... the one referred to in Lunar Jim's link...

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

There was one going up a tree in a garden where I worked. Probably Emerald gaiety rather than Emerald and Gold. But I've never got to stick to anything.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks for the feedback.

Escallonia sounds interesting, if I grow on of the ones that gets quite high (4 - 8 metres in 5 - 10 years will it get to the top of a 6 ft fence in only a few years?

Damp soil for it might be a problem though as it is a sunny sight.