Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hi

We have got a very shady bank on the side of the house where it doesn't get direct sunlight at all. Can I can primroses there? thank you for your advise

Dovefromabove

In my experience primroses will cope with shade during the summer, but do like some sunlight in the spring when they flower.  

Secret Squirrel

Hi, if it helps my polyanthus have flowered better in the shade. Primroses might be different so take Dove's advice. Just thought I'd mention the polyanthus

nutcutlet

They seed themselves in totally shaded areas and put up with that. I think deciduous shade is best though

Dovefromabove
nutcutlet wrote (see)

............... I think deciduous shade is best though

That's what  meant 

Advertisement

Hostafan1

driving around Devon / Cornwall, I see lots of primroses in flower in hedgerows with high trees overhead, which must be in total shade once the trees above them come into leaf. So I'd say , yes, they'll grow in shade.

Salino

..mine are growing north facing... and flowering..get a bit of dappled sunlight only.... I prefer to see them on a sunny bank though and might move mine later...

Dovefromabove
Hostafan1 wrote (see)

driving around Devon / Cornwall, I see lots of primroses in flower in hedgerows with high trees overhead, which must be in total shade once the trees above them come into leaf. So I'd say , yes, they'll grow in shade.

I agree, but I think they need sunlight in the spring to flower - that's why they're a plant of deciduous woodland and hedgerows.

hollie hock

They would grow there I think, be worth giving them a go.

Thank you all. I have planted some primroses and polyanthus and will see how they cope!