Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Winter aconite advice

ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Hey folks, I'm looking to buy some winter aconites. I was wondering if they should be bought in the green or whether dried bulbs are better? Also how reliable are bulbs from T&M? image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Dried tubers of Winter Aconites are notoriously difficult to establish and buying them in the green in Spring is probably the best way. You could also buy them ready developed from your local garden centre in Spring.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Remember that they need shade in the summer too.  When I was much younger and knew little about gardening I planted some in my sun-baked front garden and although they came up in late winter, the following year precisely one reappeared!  The ideal position is under deciduous trees although I've seen them growing very happily under yew trees.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm planning to plant them around my pond as it stays fairly moist and only receives about 4 hours of sun during summer, so hopefully it will be ideal. It would also provide much needed interest around the pond during late winter.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They don't need permanently moist soil, they might rot in that. Deciduous shade, they're woodland plants. Mine do well and are very dry under trees in summer.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Hmm they sound a bit more fussy than I was expecting. I might just plant heaps of lungwort instead. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Try a few ecokid - if happy, they soon multiply.  Pulmonaria is a good bet though. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

i think they can be a bit fussy but once they're suited, they're off, seeding everywhere.image

In the sticks near Peterborough