19 messages
20/01/2013 at 12:18
I have quite a few geranium cuttings which are doing ok on my kitchen window ledge and bathroom. I have been watering them sparingly over the winter and they are doing ok, was wondering if I need to give them a light feed every so often until I can harden them off late spring. I live in a flat and have a balcony.
20/01/2013 at 12:22

Not yet-just keep them ticking over-not actively growing-they will be ok

20/01/2013 at 15:03
Ok, thanks geoff
20/01/2013 at 15:24

I tend to pot on/repot any cuttings I've done last season/yr in February. That way they have new compost for a few weeks before they need to go out in May. They will start to grow as the light levels increase. IMO that makes for sturdier plants. J.

20/01/2013 at 15:36
I pot as jo4eyes describes and for same reasons but start end January. Already potted on some as growth has been vigorous and they were taken last September. However, wait a few weeks yet before you pot on newly establishing cuttings and don't feed ...you are likely to lose them if you do.
20/01/2013 at 15:58
Thanks guys
23/01/2013 at 00:43
Verdun wrote (see)
I pot as jo4eyes describes and for same reasons but start end January. Already potted on some as growth has been vigorous and they were taken last September. However, wait a few weeks yet before you pot on newly establishing cuttings and don't feed ...you are likely to lose them if you do.

Hi,  Yes, end of January is a good time.  I repotted some hydrangea cuttings the other day, among other things.  I am so glad I did them because when I tipped them out of the old pots there were lots of vine weevils among the roots.  If I had waited until later they might have done more damage.  There were quite a few roots still there so I am hoping they will be ok.  I sprinkled some of the Root Grow round the roots to help them on their way again.  It would probably be a good idea to repot any that have been outside since the summer.  June

23/01/2013 at 05:57

I start to pot up my cuttings at the beginning of February,too

Pam LL x

23/01/2013 at 08:08

If you check the roots in the pot, see if they are comming out of the bottom or root bound, if you do need to repot then they will get any nutrients from new compost you put in. I wouldnt tend to feed any plants this time of year, its a natural cold spell by now they will have stored food and alot of plants have become dormant around now. (unless they are in a heated greenhouse)

23/01/2013 at 12:12
I can't get in my greenhouse for the over sheltering pots hehe. Roll on warmth !
23/01/2013 at 22:57

The geraniums I brought indoors continued to flower till just after Christmas.

When repoting in Jan/Feb can they be split or is it better to wait till spring and the warmer weather.

23/01/2013 at 23:43
Zoomer, are these geraniums or pelargoniums? Can't "split" pelargoniums but can with hardy geraniums Same family but former are tender and latter are hardy; former from cuttings, latter from division.
23/01/2013 at 23:56

Definitely geraniums.

24/01/2013 at 08:35
Some varieties of geranium are very easy to split some can be bit stubborn. They don't need to be kept warm,over winter. If mine, I would pot on now, keep now in greenhouse but put outside when weather warms up a bit. Best in the ground though as soon as you can after that. When you pot on have a look at your plant....if its big enough can you pull it apart, tease it apart? Maybe just a couple of larger splits and pot these up
24/01/2013 at 18:15

Zoomer

A question- cos I is confused

Why did you bring the geraniums indoors?

24/01/2013 at 23:57

Geoff. It's a long story and not very scientific ....Never grown them before and bought a couple late on in the season from the 'nearly dead section' at a GC to fill out some large pots along with some dahlias, didn't expect the geraniums to survive, it was the dahlias I wanted for their tubers to grow this year(25p each).

When it came time for the dahlias to be lifted, the geraniums were still in full flower and I had other winter stuff to put in the pots, seemed a shame to compost them and thought the frost would kill the geraniums, so lifted them and brought them indoors. They continued to flower till just after Christmas and still look like healthy plants      

25/01/2013 at 07:06

Hmm, these sound like "bedding geraniums" to me - in other words 'pelargoniums' rather than 'hardy geraniums'.  

Confusion has reigned ever since 'they' re-organised the naming of them - I understand why they did it - but so many people 'of a certain age' have known them as geraniums all their life .... 

25/01/2013 at 08:37
Zoomer, I think dove is right. Are your plants "upright" growing? And, if still in flower, they again seem to be pelargonium "geraniums"! You can take cuttings of these very easily from now on. These should NOT be left outside....just leave them In the warm.
25/01/2013 at 09:53

Zooomer!!-I have a headache now

email image
19 messages