London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
6 messages
29/05/2013 at 13:32

Hello, my winter pansies have been a delight in my hanging baskets and tubs all winter and really looked lovely at the begining of the spring!! but now there looking a bit tired, so should i leave them in and cut them right back, so they reflower or take them out and let them recover over the summer else where???

please help

29/05/2013 at 13:50

Well they can -but honestly not worth the bother of keeping-treat as an annual-discard- and start afresh later in the year

29/05/2013 at 16:12

I saw one profesional grower on TVrecently who says cutting them back and feeding them in June/July helps them pick up and carry on for another season of flowers but I would consider plantig them out in the borders as ground cover and buying new stock for next winter's baskets, pots and troughs.

29/05/2013 at 16:38

I would cut back and plant out too,in general they never flower again as sucessfully as the first time ,so not worth keeping in tubs etc when they are looking past their best,but planted out, any new flowers are a bonus and may brighten up a dull spot.

29/05/2013 at 16:56

It sort of depends on whether they are really pansies, or if they are violas some of which are true perennials. I have a lovely black viola which i have had for many years. Sadly it does not come true from seed so I have all sorts turning up in the borders.

29/05/2013 at 19:47

Dig up, cut back and CRAM into an old pot, as many as you can. Feed and the flowers you get will look pretty good.

Better than binning...

email image
6 messages