London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
10 messages
24/10/2012 at 20:37

I've never grown fuchsias before but someone bought me 3 large plants for my birthday in July. They have flowered their socks off, and I am now a big fan. I've had them in large pots on the patio, and wondered if I can leave them like that through the winter. I should say that they were all labelled as hardy: Tom Thumb, Genii, and Delta's Sarah. I would hate to lose them. Would a cold greenhouse be enough protection or should I find spaces in the borders?

24/10/2012 at 20:48

Despite the fact they are classed as hardy if the roots freeze in the pots they will not be happy-I would not plant them in the borders now -leave that till next spring -that gives them 6 months or so until winter 2013 to get their roots into the soil-I would over-winter this year in the greenhouse and give them extra protection if needed.

24/10/2012 at 21:06

Thank you I'll try that and in the mean time I'll find 3 spaces in the borders.

24/10/2012 at 22:19

I have a Genii that survived -17° last winter! So did the ricartonii. I used to have Tom Thumb but it seems to have disappeared so perhaps I should have brought it in. They were in borders. I suppose it depends a bit how well drained the soil is.

25/10/2012 at 11:35

Thats what worries me. Even if I put them in the ground I'll have a job to find a patch that doesn't get flooded in the winter. So pots in the greenhouse this year I think. Lots of bubblewrap and fleece.

25/10/2012 at 23:49
Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

I have a Genii that survived -17° last winter! So did the ricartonii.

Great news!  The leaves on my Genii went brown in a sharp frost a week or so ago & today I stripped them & put the plant into the garage, it's in a pot. That gives me hope that I could plant him up in the border next year.  The Ricartonii in a pot will be fleeced, but his mate in the raised bed will have to take his chances!

31/10/2012 at 13:05
31/10/2012 at 13:20

I always assumed that Rigartoni was hardy- mine certainly coped ok last yr in a border in NWest.

I often grow hardy varieties in large pots on the patio, taking cuttings as routine in late summer. Sometimes those pot plants survive without being wrapped- pots very large & by a sheltered wall. The ones actually in the borders tend to be later in restarting in the following spring, but they will often continue flowering after the pot grown ones have been caught by the first frosts. J.

02/11/2012 at 09:25

I too bought a few large 'hary' types this year for the patio.   I have potted them down, (into smaller pots for winter), pruned the long stems to a leaf node so they can re-grow and thicken for next year - after having a good rest in the greenhouse where they will be safe from harmful cold and ice.    In the spring I will take several cuttings from the fresh growth so that I do not lose this variety.

02/11/2012 at 09:25

I too bought a few large 'hardy' types this year for the patio.   I have potted them down, (into smaller pots for winter), pruned the long stems to a leaf node so they can re-grow and thicken for next year - after having a good rest in the greenhouse where they will be safe from harmful cold and ice.    In the spring I will take several cuttings from the fresh growth so that I do not lose this variety.

email image
10 messages