London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
04/07/2014 at 01:26

I bought a Chinese wisteria prolific today. Specifically i want a standard wisteria, but i dont know what to do? i don't want to plant it directly in the ground. If i moved house i be devastated if i couldn't bring it with me, especially if i manged to train it into a standard. 

Was thinking maybe plant it in a Oak wine barrel ( 27 inch diameter - 19 inch depth ) i heard that people have grown them in pots before, but i dont know. The pruning isn't a problem its just planting it. i not let it get to big about 8 foot high

I shouldnt of bought it really but i always want one, all logic want out the window when i saw it. i dont think its  grafted ( i hope it not been grown from seed ) , i dont know if its ever flowered should of bought one earlier when it was flowering. 

Has anyone else got a wisteria? where  have you planted it?

04/07/2014 at 06:06

A barrel's fine, especially if you're going to keep it in check. They can be bonsaied so they'll take it. It'll be a graft, I expect, but that's normal. In a container they'll often flower earlier in their lives, so the correct pruning regime should work well.  It's due its first prune back in the next couple of weeks and then a January further nip back to two buds on each previously shortened length should encourage the flower buds to form.  A good soil-based compost, or good garden soil, and plenty of water in dry spells. Don't expect Mother Nature to get it perfectly right as her rains are often inadequate. HC 

04/07/2014 at 06:11

Do I understand that your wisteria has not yet been trained into a standard?  If so, there's information here on how to do it - but it may not be possible if your wisteria has already been trained as a wall shrub, as to train a shrub as a standard you need to start with a single stemmed plant. 

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 

04/07/2014 at 13:25

Thanks for the advise, After a closer look today it looks like it is grafted, its got two leaders. It has not been trained into a standard but hopefully it will if i am lucky , the top been pinched out though which could be a problem  Here a couple of pictures. Cost me £9, i might to buy another already trained, if this one cant be trained into a standard

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51614.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51615.jpg?width=264&height=350&mode=max

04/07/2014 at 13:43

I'm sorry but I can't see any way that this can be trained into a standard if it has two 'leaders'.  

A standard needs to be trained from the beginning, starting with a single stem grown on until it reaches the required height before pinching out.  

04/07/2014 at 13:51

I thought the top being pinched out would be a problem, i see what i can do, maybe just train it as a tree i dunno. If only i had a pergola or a wall. Got lots of fencing but it would outlast the fencing in matter of no time. 

04/07/2014 at 14:02

Could you make an arbour seat against the fence and train the wisteria over it?  Then when the fence needs replacing you can work around it. 

05/07/2014 at 10:52

Hi Perki,

I'm having problems with my wisteria which I bought in early Spring.  I planted it

against the front wall of my house (with visions in years to come of the whole

frontage being made lovely by it!)   For a few day s it seemed to thrive and had

a few lovely blossoms, then I went out one morning and the snails had almost

eaten the lot.  Because we see hedgehogs I couldn't put slug pellets down so

I ended up digging it up and putting it back in a larger pot than I'd bought it

in.  Since then it has struggled and now has new leaves, but for the life of me I

don't know how to protect it, as although I use crushed eggshells round the

bottom of it to deter the snails - I know they will just crawl up other plants and

onto the wall further along if I replant it.  Any suggestions gratefully received!

05/07/2014 at 13:00

Hi flowerforbees, sorry to hear about the wisteria, i didnt think snails would go for a wisteria. You could try and combat the snails with copper - Vaseline ( spread around rim of pot ) beer traps maybe. you could try staking it temporary away from the wall until the plant new growth has matured. But it sound very difficult to stop them climbing up the wall 

05/07/2014 at 19:29

Thanks Perki

I'll try that.  Good luck with your wisteria too!  I have to say that

yours looks a whole lot healthier than mine!  

email image
10 messages