Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 23 replies

I bought a wisteria last year from b&q and was told to trim back in August, which I did. This year I made a umbrella frame and potted it  in a larger pot. Is it to late to trim back now? I haven't had any flowers this year and didn't expect any as it was only a young plant. Should I leave it this year to fill up the  frame?or can I still prune it ?I heard if you prune, it encourages flower buds for the following year. I can't wait till I get my first flower.

Thanks Ladybird4,

I will do that later today.

August is the time to trim back new growth to 5 or 6 buds. I think being a week or so later will still be fine. In early January take these same stems back to 2 or 3 buds. Cut well above the bus as they are delicate. 

Last edited: 07 September 2016 17:16:11

Thanks for that Dave, I will   put that in my diary.

No problem and good luck. Looks like you'll have a really nice feature plant there. There's a few good videos on YouTube on pruning but they are basically as stated. This leads to a good flower display. 

Advertisement

It's now early January, can I still prune my Wisteria now even though were due  some bad weather with freezing conditions or should I wait a bit longer.

Thanks Obelixx, I'll leave it for now and wait a bit longer. Thanks for the link.

Hello Paula

I agree with Obelixx, it's better being patient, than failing

Doghouse Riley

I prune all five of ours every year between Christmas and New Year. As long as it's not too cold, which for over a decade it never has been. (since I've been doing them this early, global warming and all that)  The buds on mine are quite "fat" already.

Last edited: 12 January 2017 11:14:23

Hi Doghouse Riley,

Any chance you could post a photo of a "fat" bud?

Just looked at mine and they don't seem to be very far on at all.

Thanks,

Bee

Doghouse Riley
Bee witched says:

Hi Doghouse Riley,

Thanks,

Bee

See original post

It's a bit dark now, I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks musher,

I do live in a cold pocket area and I can only just see the buds coming through but they are very tiny. As I didn't get to cut all the ends of the new growth  because of all the leaves in the way in  August, do I still only cut back 2-3buds in Jan - Feb or can I cut more?

Doghouse Riley
paula.conway says:

Thanks musher,

I do live in a cold pocket area and I can only just see the buds coming through but they are very tiny. As I didn't get to cut all the ends of the new growth  because of all the leaves in the way in  August, do I still only cut back 2-3buds in Jan - Feb or can I cut more?

See original post

Anything between two and four is fine.

During the year I'm constantly removing or shortening laterals with no blooms so that I can achieve a balance.

I find it necessary to stop it "bushing."

"Ruthless" pruning ensures you don't get too much foliage when the blooms come out

You'd rather see flowers than leaves. The foliage really comes on once the blooms have gone.

Advertisement

WOW Doghouse Riley, that looks fantastic. I would love to have put mine on the back fence or even a pergola but I haven't got room. I only hope the canes which hold mine up will hold the weight as it get larger.

Thanks for the advice.

If you forget to prune back in August, is it better to still go ahead and winter prune back to 2 buds? I don't understand the purpose of pruning twice per year 

Doghouse Riley

My view of it is that it grows like a weed. I like to keep control of it all the time.  Laterals can grow several inches over night. So every week during the summer I'm cutting them back.

The Jan/Feb pruning is the important one. That's the one that produces the flowers.

The wisteria in the picture is supported on wires stretched between several "eyes" drilled into the posts. It isn't attached to the fence panels.

Last edited: 13 January 2017 09:56:43

Thanks Doghouse Riley, it looks beautiful. I only have a young one that i bought in Aldi last year but it put on a huge amount of growth. It's probably too young to flower but i'll have a go at pruning anyway

Doghouse Riley
Bee witched says:

Hi Doghouse Riley,

Thanks,

Bee

See original post

There you go