London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
14 messages
12/09/2012 at 12:34

Hello, 

The curb between my house and road is woodlandy - 3 lime trees and 1 copper beech, with holly and laurel shrubs, the odd fern plus ivy ground cover (and until recently nettle and bramble).  I'm wanting to add in a few plants to brighten it up, although accepting it will always look fairly wild.

I've bought some bulbs - bluebells, snowdrops, miniture daffs, crocus - that will go in this month.  Is there anything else anyone can suggest?  I've got a bright pink Calico Bush in my garden that looks gorgeous and having read it's a woodland plant I though I'd see if I can propogate a bit of that and push it in.  Which made me think is there anything else similar that'd look as lovely.

Soil is clay.  Needs to be low maintanence.  Novice gardener so feel free to suggest "obvious" things

Thanks very much

12/09/2012 at 12:39

Please ignore this post as a duplicate in error (PC got stuck when submitting and I pressed the submit button again...)

12/09/2012 at 14:20

Some native primroses would look beautiful in spring as would some perennial Geraniums for summer colour. I'm sure other will have suggestions too.

12/09/2012 at 14:25

Foxgloves, hostas, tiarellas, brunnera, pulmonaria - but add plenty of good, moisture retentive material to the soil before planting these last two.

12/09/2012 at 15:48
Epimediums and Erythroniums are worth considering as well. And cyclamen.
12/09/2012 at 17:42

Dicentra is a lovely woodland plant

12/09/2012 at 17:47
Ooh yes, especially the White variety, alba.
12/09/2012 at 19:44
Solomon's Seal is a lovely woodland plant, I love the arching sites with the white flowers. I agree foxgloves are a must.
12/09/2012 at 21:36

I've been planting up a smiliar area under 3 large beech trees, this area can be very shady at certain times of the year so I plant for the Spring show and then try and get some woodland perennnials over time to provide the green ground cover.

I would suggest crocus,snowdrops,primose, wallflowers & foxgloves. I've also had good results from a woodland seed mix both sowed straight in the ground and in seed trays.

13/09/2012 at 12:28

Brilliant - thanks everyone.  I'm going to treat myself to an enjoyable hour this weekend looking up plants and making some choices.  I think foxgloves are a definite, and Dicentra (flowers look weird!) and Soloman's Seal and maybe Cyclamen.

I posted my query twice by accident and Jean Riley put the following link on the other post:http://www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/nature/woodland_flowers.htm

and I'm tempted by the wood anemone and celandine.  Plus rhododendrons seem to grow well in my area so might add one of those.

So much to choose!  I'll select a few and plant and then maybe add more in a year or so when I see how they get on.

I hadn't heard of woodland seed so think that maybe worth a go and see what seems happy.

Thanks everyone!

Noodle

13/09/2012 at 20:02

I bought my first woodland mix seeds a couple of years ago now when I was just started out. I sowed them first in trays and then planted out. I have since learnt that doing that way I lost a lot of the annuals, but seen the first flowers of the perennials/biennials  this year.

Tried again earlier this year and sowed some directly in the ground and have had some really good results.

Had a quick look at Solomons Seal plant and that looks a perfect addition to my woodland area. Does anyone know if it is known to be beneficial to wildlife? I'm particularly interested in plants/flowers that provide an early food source for pollinators. I've been looking into growing some Lungwort as this seems to do the job.

13/09/2012 at 20:07
Solomon's seal is unfortunately beneficial to the Solomon seal sawfly. Which strips it to tatty ribs in short order.
13/09/2012 at 20:24
But not Lways figurative and they do look so good in the woodland setting.
13/09/2012 at 20:32
Oh I love them, have them in 2 woodland/ shady areas. One lot gets decimated, the other is untouched. When the vulnerable ones get mangled, I just cut them back and they come up again next year.
email image
14 messages