London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
12 messages
16/04/2013 at 11:43

Hi,

the local nursery is selling off some primroses, 50p each or 30 for £10. they are full bloomed, wondered if they were worth buying and if so what to do with them once they are done flowering for the year?

16/04/2013 at 11:51

I move primroses round my garden all the time at this year - so I'd think absolutely fine to buy now and plant them.  They'll fade away for the summer (trim off the leaves when they get untidy and brown) and then come back to delight you in the cold of February 2014.

I am on heavy clay soil in south wales and they seem to love it.  What sort of soil do you have and where are you?

16/04/2013 at 11:55

My Primroses have provided colour and put a smile on my face through out this long bitter winter, the have bloomed continuously for nearly five months in a long row at the front of the border, if it was me I would get them.
Prepare a plot or strip of border then drop the Primroses out of the pot and plant them, open up the base of the root gently so they will travel into the surrounding soil.
When the flowers die off which will be soon leave the plants alone apart from weeding, the top growth will also die back then start to come again in Autumn. Clean around the plants and a mulch of compost around them then leave to flower.
After flowering next year lift and divide the plants re-planting them where you wish them to grow you will double your plants doing that. They can be divided each year after that. My plants came from one given to me and divided each year until I now have a lovely glowing row of yellow flowers.

Frank.

16/04/2013 at 11:58

Hi there,

in birmingham, i tested the soil and its between acidic - very acidic (6.5 5), heavy clay, and poor drainage in places. i had in mind to put them on display in pots (i have 3x 22cm pots), taking them out when their season is over then putting them somewhere until next year, replacing them with a different flower and keep it rotated year round. does that sound reasonable to do?

16/04/2013 at 12:35

Mine are just coming into flower - as perennials 50p is a good as they last for years. They are almost evergreen (depends on weather and soil) so can be used to edge borders, esp in shadier areas. Great if we get a mild spring next year. I have mine in a woodland part of my garden and can see them from my kitchen - good burst of colour when needed.

16/04/2013 at 19:32

Think thats a good price for them if you don't have any.  I have loads of the native type, they seem to grow like weeds here. Putting on a good show here at the moment. Some really lovely colours happening.

16/04/2013 at 19:45

I think you should go for it, yes. I bought some about 2 months ago and they are still flowering. I am a first-timer with primroses though, so not sure what happens next - will be reading the great tips above!

16/04/2013 at 21:01

keep them for next and divide them up making new plants . 

16/04/2013 at 22:30

A good buy djjjuk, if, as hollie hock says, you don't have any. They live for years and seed into  all sorts of places where you could never have planated them, eg little gaps in steps or right up against a tree. Lovely plants, just when you need them

17/04/2013 at 07:24

you should buy 30 and keep dividing them.

17/04/2013 at 08:06

When do you divide primroses then? I love my primroses and some of them have gotten absolutely huge since I planted them in Feb

17/04/2013 at 08:32

Hi djjjuk, your plan sounds fine - although personally I'd put a few of them straight into your garden to grow so they will increase and you can divide them.  Your soil sounds like mine, and if so they will LOVE it!

Paperflowers - I divide mine all year round (I'm not a very organised gardener!) but certainly this time of year would be fine. Dig them up and see if you can gently break them into individual plants - sometimes the roots separate out nicely.  But if you find you've got big solid blocks - get tough!  Sharp spade (or I often use a sharp carving knife) to cut the clump into pieces, plant again immediately,  water them in, wait for next year.  Simples.

They are one of my favourite flowers - enjoy yourselves!

email image
12 messages