Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Cheryl7

Hi all! I am very much a new gardener and would love to know your thoughts on whether or not to divide this 3 year old Lupin or should I leave it another year? Also when is the best time to divide?.Thanks! 

fidgetbones

Lupins never last very long with me. They  usually come true from seed, so if you want more I would take some seeds off and sow them singly in 3inch pots next spring. From an early sowing they will often flower the first year.

Busy-Lizzie

I would sow seed as well. Don't think you can divide lupins as they don't like root disturbance and I think they have a tap root.

punkdoc

Virtually impossible to divide. Either sow seed or take cuttings in early spring.

oooooooo. i divide lupins every year

success is variable.  best in summer.  just pull apart and repot asap

prob 25% success in autumn...40% if in late spring

Advertisement

punkdoc

I stand corrected. Thankyou Verdun you learn something new everyday.

hollie hock

Hi Cheryl, yours looks nice and healthy with loads of flowers. I do think they depreciate over the years though. I took cuttings at the beginning of April off one of mine that looked as if it was struggling a bit. The oringinal plant now looks better for it and the cuttings are doing well.

Cheryl7

Hi everyone - thanks for all your comments (and sorry for the sideways photo - oops). 

I think I will try some cuttings and collect some seeds as well. And I might even try and divide it next year just to see what happens. As usual you have been a huge help!