London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
28/03/2014 at 13:45

I love the colour yellow in the garden....yellow flowers or foliage...but it's not to everybody's liking it seems.

So, convince the doubters folks.   What's your favourite yellow plant?

Right now daffs, primroses, euphorbias and hellebores provide lovely yellow flowers. 

28/03/2014 at 13:51

The leaves opening on my Cornus sanguinea are such a bright yellow I thought I was looking at a flowering shrub from a distance.

28/03/2014 at 13:51

It has got to be daffs and primroses but forsythia is also a welcome splash of yellow at this time of year.

28/03/2014 at 13:58

Yellow is my favourite colour, I love yellow. It's the colour of sunshine, spring and happiness 

The plain old common daffodil are one of my favourite flowers and I have them in the garden (not many in the back right now but that will be resolved for next year!) and have them on the kitchen table from as soon as they are available in the shops.

I love huge yellow sunflowers, tulips, roses....anything yellow really, even buttercups and dandelions as long as they are in a meadow and not my garden 

I am even changing the colour of my feature wall in the kitchen to yellow so we can have sunshine even on the darkest days of winter  (Yes I am slightly bonkers )

So need to persuade me Verdun,  I am well and truly on your side on this one 

28/03/2014 at 14:07

I'm not keen on too much yellow but this time of year it seems to be everywhere and after the dark, cold, miserable winter months I can appreciate it.

I had a yellow wall in my kitchen but changing it to olive green soon because the mocha colour it became is no better! 

28/03/2014 at 14:15

Daffs, forsythia, yellow foliage on my physocarpus Dart's Gold, miniature Antony Waterer spirea and emerging persicaria, start of my Ribes (buffalo currant) flowers...you may not like too much yellow at this time of year, but the pollinating insects LOVE it.

28/03/2014 at 14:22

Yellow is a lovely warm glow after the winter although I hate the combination of Forsythia with pink cherry blossom which Mother Nature loves!

I'm enjoying my native primulas and the yellow centres of the white pasqueflowers, but I've particularly enjoyed the 'Cream Beauty' crocus I planted in the autumn. The foliage on the Choisya ternata 'Sundance' is lovely against the dark fence just now and Phormium 'Cream Wave' looks bright and cheerful all year. The soft buttery Narcissus 'Cheerfulness' will be out soon to continue the theme.

28/03/2014 at 14:34

Not a lover of yellow flowers except daffodils, primroses, roses, forsythia, crocus and buttercups!

28/03/2014 at 14:59

Love yellow in the garden in spring.  Have made a lovely display of daffs and a few snippets of forsythia to brighten up the living room in a vase.  Smells lovely too!!!

Can't wait for lots of other colours too.

28/03/2014 at 15:17

Yellow works for me in the spring with lots and lots of daff's

28/03/2014 at 15:25

Yellow wallflowers will carry on long after the daffs have faded, which will give some jolly colour to the long strip outside my fence, by the pavement, which I cultivate.

28/03/2014 at 15:32
Ok ok I hold my hands up, not keen on yellow especially next to reds and pinks.
I do however love daffodils and spring.
I also like evening primrose but otherwise steer more towards an orange hue.
I might just consider some soft yellow/creams this year.
Never say never.
KEF
28/03/2014 at 16:12

I enjoy yellow in the spring, I don't mind acid/ bordering on lime, but yellow and orange are my least favourite colours. Soz Verdun.

Blue, white, pink & lilac for me.

28/03/2014 at 17:53

Ooops,  ive already said i'm not keen on yellow flowers......well just got back from looking for an arch.....which I couldn't find one I liked......when this jumped into my hands...Erythronium 'pagoda'  

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40881.jpeg?width=350

28/03/2014 at 20:28

Oooo SGL, that's nice. Saw one in the G/C yesterday but a slipper orchid beat it into my trolley, accidentally of coarse. Had another 'episode'. But on the yellow front, I do like daffodils, they're just so lovely and cheerful even when the weather's miserable.

28/03/2014 at 21:09

Love orchids Lisa,

28/03/2014 at 22:09

Me too, I bought a native slipper at Chelsea last year, and it has come through again this year, so when I saw these yesterday, I couldn't believe it, got way too giddy and bought one. It's called Kentucky maxi. I really should read up on them rather than just making it up and hoping for the best, they aren't cheap.

28/03/2014 at 22:17

It's my favourite colour too Orchid.

Reminds me of spring and sunny days.

daffodils, narcissus, primroses, the fresh emerging leaves on my choisiya, forsythia, yellow/apricot of dwarf acer....

28/03/2014 at 22:18

If you want more Lisa, Tesco often have them on special offer for £5 or try Ikea they do them for £5 or £8 for more exotic ones. 

28/03/2014 at 22:23

Add to that, winter-flowering jasmine, aconites and sternbergia autumn crocuses as well!

Agree that pink and yellow doesn't work so well. Also not massively keen on bright blues with daff yellow- reminds me of IKEA

Love egg yolk yellows in combination with purples of hebe Pascal and pittosphorum Tom Thumb. My miniature daffs look lovely next to the purples of snakes head fritillaries too.

it all depends on the hue of the yellow in question  

1 to 20 of 41 messages