Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Yellow poppy - is it Icelandic poppy?

Another ID request guys if you'd be so kind. Just noticed this yellow poppy in the garden. Three buds and the first has just opened and it's yellow. Never seen a yellow one before so googled and found yellow Icelandic. Is this right? Plus if I have only one plant and flowers open separately will I still get seeds can it self seed one flower at a time?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

We need to see a photo, especially the leavesimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Have you a photo?

Welsh poppy, Meconopsis cambrica is another possibility

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Welsh poppies I have seen have been paler. Didn't know there was an Icelandic one.

I don't think I can tell the difference from a photo Ginger. I would bet on the Welsh poppy as the one most likely to turn up without invitationimage

• I'd bet on the Welsh too just 'cos it's the sort of plant that just appears - but as Nut says, I can't be certain from a photo.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Just looked at my Welsh poppy which is in flower at the moment and Gingerfingers poppy seems to have more petals but the leaves look just like the WP - maybe it's a 'sport'.

• I agree Forester - all of my welsh poppies (and there are hundreds!) are single and that one looks semi-double so likely a cross etc.  Worth keeping and seeing what the seeds produce. 80% of mine are yellow with the rest orange.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTG - so I have found another but only have one flower at a time. how will this be fertilised to produce a viable seed? Am I being thick here?

Not everything needs cross pollination ginger. I don't think poppies doimage