Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

Sara 4

I'm really sorry but I don't have a photo as I have left the camera elsewhere.  I have a lot of woody stemmed weeds with slightly hairy leaves shaped more like a tree leaf. They have tiny yellow flowers which give way to what I assume is a seed head, which is like a softer, smaller, teasel.  They are about 14 - 16 inch high and the stems grow out in a goblet shape from a central root.  I'll be able to get the camera back at the weekend, but there are so many knowledgeable people on here I thought someone might be able to guess from my description.  Thanks -

nutcutlet

what sort of tree leaf? annual or perennial

fidgetbones

Look up wood avens and  see if that matches

Sara 4

FB - You are SO clever!  Thank you so much, one day I'll be able to answer a question.

It seems to have suddenly grown from nowhere - is it any use to wildlife or can I dig it up with impunity?

Nutcutlet, I was dithering about trying to work out what sort of tree leaf it might resemble when FB came up with the answer.  Thank you for thinking!

fidgetbones

Dig it up, preferably before those pretty yellow flowers set seed.

Advertisement

Sara 4

Good, I've done half of it already.  It isn't even pretty really, but some foraging type says you can fry the leaves in butter - his picture looks like a horrible slimy mess so it's straight in the bin I think.  Thanks again

nutcutlet

The seeds are the sort that stick to your clothes/pets/gardening glove etc and spread everywhere.