Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

yet another clematis question

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I know not all the seeds are viable but three look pretty plump. What do you think? 

C. versicolor. It's tiny, only 5 flowers and 3 likely looking seeds so far. I think it's a toughie. Grown from seed years ago, lost it in the undergrowth, rescued and potted up last year, planted out this year and it's alive

limage

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Well those three green (at the moment) seeds are looking quite promising nutcutlet. Fingers crossed you get them to germinate once they have ripened. I must admit that I do not know this Clematis so I'll have to go and do some research now. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

very pretty little flowers Ladybirdimage

I grew that one from seed aymimage

I like growing things from seed, 

• Ah, beautiful, clematis seeds.  Fantastic news about your versicolor, probably not a 100% true species but any hybrids you can raise, they are all fantastic plants, so important in a garden to have a few home raised plants, congratulations.

• imageimage

May I just add, I am always amazed at the size of the seedheads compared to the flower size on some of the Viorna group clematis.

My little pitcheri, seed from Illinois, has lots of very small flowers but huge clusters of seed.

Might be true species Richard, It came as such from the BCS many years ago, handed out at the end of an HPS talk and already a couple of years old. Germination was a surprise to me.

• Great news, I am pleased for you, quite rare the true versicolor.

How would I tell for sure Richard? It's rather a depressed looking plant at the moment with somewhat yellow leaves but it's grown more this year that it ever has done before since I planted it in a better place.

• I use the American Bells site as reference, but the seeds need to be wild collected not from a garden plant. Some of the species are quite variable in flower form.  The versicolor is described as ' pale lavender to reddish purple ' so quite a colour range.

I don't know the origin of the original seed, nor any way of finding out. I'll just enjoy it for what it is.