Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

yew trees

paulcpaulc Posts: 2

Hello, I have some large yew trees in our garden that have self -seeded new trees around the garden. I have tried to move them a plant them elsewhere but with no luck.

Has anybody got any ideas on how and when is the best time to move them. thanks Paul.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

It should certainly be possible to do this. You'd need to dig up as large a root ball as you can, trying to keep the soil intact around the plant. Watering the ground before attempting to dig up the plant can help the soil stick together. Don't try to move it as a 'bare-rooted' plant, without soil. September/October would be the best time.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Many yew trees do this, some of ours we have left in situ to grow on, others have been potted up into small pots to give to a friend who would like to have them.  I find that you really need to move them when they are very small, use a loam based compost - I keep mine outside where they get rained on (almost to excess earlier this year) and so far all is well.  Good luck.

• paulcpaulc Posts: 2

Thank you very much will give it a go, and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again paul  image