London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 5°C
9 messages
06/07/2013 at 13:54

Hi, my lovely old yucca plant has grown sidewards and i was wondering if i could cut it from the bottom of the trunk and replant it into the same pot? if so then can anyone advise me on how to do it please as i am a bit of a novice and do not wan't to kill my unhappy yucca.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26866.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Many thanks

Kev

06/07/2013 at 14:51

I'm afraid that both those stems look too mature to use as cuttings, but if it ever grows some little sideshoots from the base you can use them as cuttings..  I think it's grown long and lanky because it needs much more direct light rather than the filtered light it is getting - yucca's need as much sunlight as they can get and prefer to be outside in the summer - although if you take it outside this weather do it for a little while at a time to start with as the leaves will not be used to the sunlight and may scorch.

I think I'd try taking it out of the pot, turning the rootball on its side a bit so the stems are more vertical and potting it up like that - and when you put it in the pot put a sturdy cane in there to tie the stems to as they don't look strong enough to support the the weight of the foliage.

I would use John Innes No 2 compost, with the addition of about a quarter as much horticultural grit.  Tease the roots out a bit to get rid of some of the old compost, and pot it up  firmly - you might need a bigger pot too.

As I said, lots of bright light, and not much water.

Good luck 

06/07/2013 at 17:26

Dovefromabove, many thanks for your detailed answer, i shall follow all of your advice, it is a real shame that i cannot chop and re-plant as the yucca is in such an awkward position, i may try and find it a good new home where there is a lot more sun light, maybe somebody with a nice bright conservatory, but i will re-pot it etc first.

Thanks again

Kev

06/07/2013 at 17:56

If you do get it adopted, if you like sculptural houseplants, you might find that a Monstera deliciosa (Swiss Cheese Plant) to your liking, or a Rubber plant (Ficus elastica) - both do well in filtered daylight.  Or even that much neglected Victorian favourite, the Aspidstra 

The Monstera will need a moss pole (available from most florists) to climb up.

07/07/2013 at 16:07

Awww great stufff Dove, i may opt for a cheese plant but will also look into the others mentioned and see which plant i fancy the most and what will look the nicest in my room. 

Thanks again for taking the time out to help me Dove, much appreciated. 

Kev

07/07/2013 at 19:30

I would  open the blind, for the plant to see day light once in a while!

Be brave and chop it off about 9'' from base then9'' below leaves.

Repot in good compost with the tops too! water and pray!! discard the middle stem. 

I have done this with the Dragon tree and another large leaved plant it worked!

The stem made shoots and the top rooted.

( If you get a fern plant they dont mind  low light levels.)

07/07/2013 at 19:58

Hello,friends, When i think about create a garden than i not think that which rose i grow. but after some time i decide red rose and yellow rose. After i successes in my first garden than i create one more garden and this garden have all types of flowers. I am making my new web site about flowers please check it for more details about flowers garden please click here Flowers Images

07/07/2013 at 21:19

This cheeky sod is posting his advertising on every thread! Have reported all of them.

08/07/2013 at 10:57

Thanks Patty3, im not sure if im brave or experienced enough to do that but i will consult in my green fingered father when i eventually see him and will see if he agree's with you or if i should just have yucca adopted.

Thanks again

Kev

email image
9 messages