Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Zaluzianskya 'Orange Eye'

yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Bought a couple of these at a local plant sale to put with other Alpines and thought I'd plant as with other Alpines.  However, I've since been told that they are difficult to grow and keep and are much affected by cold and wet in the UK.  Does anybody grow these or had success with them who can maybe give me a better idea of what the best conditions would be for them e.g should they be kept in a cool greenhouse as opposed to being planted out? 

Many thanks.  Was also told they open up in late evening and overnight.  Was a bit sceptical about this but in second picture taken after dark - it kind of looks as if they do.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Never managed to keep one outside here and for me it does far better in the Alpine house. Smells unpleasant during the day, but that changes at night to a Daphne like scent.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

i put mine out in the summer and take it into the greenhouse or cold frame for winter. it dosnt seem to mind cold just the wet

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Hi Berghill and little-ann.  I think I've been a bit optimistic that I'd be able to care for this plant.  I might plant it with some other alpines but maybe attempt to give it some kind of shelter - or try and create alpine house conditions just for it - or them, there are two.  Not exactly sure what I'll use - but will try and come up with something.  They were an expensive whim and I ought to avoid expensive whims.  I was too impressed by how it looks - rather than thinking through where I'd put it and be able to care for it properly.

Thanks for replying.